Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ask Maxy

Dear Maxy,
I work in a relatively conservative  law  firm in Chicago . Much to my surprise, the  new  administrator  that my company  hired a month ago  came to work  with her  hair  dyed green . I have seen this  trend on  kids  as I walk around  town  but there is  no  room for this  look  at my law  firm . In the  employee  handbook, it  doesn't  specifically  speak about  hair  color but it  does  say  that modest  attire  and  overall presentation is  required . How  can I talk to this  young  woman about  her  hair color  choice  to help her ?
I don't  know if  human  resources  will say  she can be fired but I can say  that  it is  not likely  that she will rise  up through  the  ranks at  any company  if she decides  to be a trendsetter in this  overt, extreme kind of  way
How to Mentor
Dear  How to Mentor ,
Talk to  your  human resources  department  about the legalities of addressing  this  employee  about her choice of  styles . You should  get guidance  to make  sure that you  do not overstep  your authority  to address her  hair  color .
With that information  in tow, speak  to her as  a mentor and tell her  that you want to share some supportive  information with her, should she be interested  . What you may want to tell her is that in every  industry  there are spoken  and  unspoken  standards . In the law profession, people  tend  to err on the  side of  conservative, as they do in your  company . Tell her  that while  her  hair  color  may be a trend,  it may be also  telling  her bosses  and co-workers  that she is not  serious  about working  there .
There  likely are  law firms  where more  personal innovation  is welcomed . She  may want  to think about  what best fits her,  given  her  choices . That being said, if she really excels  at her  job,  your  company may make that a priority and overlook her  style  eccentricities .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
It's  back to school  time  and my  kids  are  having a hard  time getting  their  bodies on the  school  clock . I tried  having  them go to bed  an hour  or  so earlier  for the past few  weeks but it  didn't work  very well . I know  that the beginning  of school is an important  time  for them  to get settled . What can I do ?
Settle  Down
Dear Settle Down ,
It is  never  too late  to work  on getting  your  children focusd. Start by  shutting off  screen time  until the weekends . Set schedules  for  your  children . Review  the  homework  with  them each day  to see how well  they are  doing . Set their  bed times  and enforce  it by walking  them to their  rooms, tucking  them in  and turning  off the  lights. Don't forget a kiss and a hug,
Maxy

Dear  Maxy ,
My company was  just sold  and the  new owner seems  like  he  could be an OK  guy . Some  people in the  media don't like him , but the buzz around the  office  so far is cool . I'm supposed to have a meeting with him . One of  my friends says I should get ready for  my walking  papers  because I've been there a long  time  and my salary is  high. I don't want to think like  that . What can I do  to help preserve my  job ?
Staking  a Claim
Dear  Staking a Claim,
The sale  of a company  does  not automatically  lead  to a  bloodbath  at the office . That largely  depends  on the  financial  health  of the company when it  is  purchased . The way  to make  yourself the  most appealing  to  your  new  boss is to be  prepared . Do some  research on him  and his  company  so that you can speak  intelligently  about  his  background .
Know  your own company  inside and out, at least your  area . Present  yourself as capable and having valuable experience with the company. Talk to him  about what strengths  you  bring  to your  job,  your  level  of expertise  and  your  ability  to be a team player . Paint  an accurate  and positive  picture  of  your  value to the company  and show him your interest in joining his team . Good luck,
Maxy

3 comments:

  1. Jonny and Chris8:47:00 AM

    Aunt Jeannie , this is what we are studying next week at NASA ,we have to look it up on the computer and we like this one the best , it has pictures .
    Daddy woke mama up and told her to sign up in so you can get it without waiting . Hope you are feeling better . Love from all the cubs .
    Jonny and Chris
    wrote by Jonny


    NASA spacecraft approaches Mars to seek answers to lost water

    (Reuters) - A NASA spacecraft designed to investigate how Mars lost its water is expected to put itself into orbit around the Red Planet on Sunday after a 10-month journey.
    After traveling 442 million miles (711 million km) from Earth, the Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution, or MAVEN, probe faces a do-or-die burn of its six braking rockets beginning at 9:37 p.m. EDT.

    Jeannie ,
    The guys wanted you to have this . They are 7th grade now and definitely have girls on their minds .
    Here's hoping you and your family is doing better .
    A proud and humble dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much my cubs and junior scientists,
    This is such an exciting adventure to Mars. I am looking forward to hearing what they find up there. I was just listening to the announcement on the news. Wouldn't it be exciting if they find some fossilized remains of life-forms?
    You guys make me feel lots better.
    I love you all very much
    Love Aunt Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gil,
    Space exploration is getting very exciting. I would not be surprised at anything they find out there. I will enjoy the article.
    I love to hear about your kids. You can't rein in those hormones. But it is a wonderful privilege to watch them grow...ain't it?
    Genie

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs