Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Stephen Hawking: Why I support Assisted Dying

Professor Stephen Hawking: "I think everyone should have the right to choose to end their life"
Cambridge scientist Stephen Hawking is backing the Assisted Dying Bill in the UK which is being debated by peers on Friday. The 72-year-old cosmologist said it was "discrimination against the disabled to deny them the right to kill themselves that able bodied people have." He said safeguards would be needed to ensure the person truly wanted to die.
Lord Falconers's bill proposes allowing doctors to prescribe a lethal dose to terminally ill patients judged to have less than six months to live. More than 130 peers have put their names down to speak. The Bill would enable doctors to help patients die by prescribing a lethal dose of drugs. Two physicians would have to certify that the patient was terminally ill and expected to die within six months.
'Freedom of the individual'
Prof Hawking said it would be "wrong to despair and commit suicide, unless one is in great pain, but that is a matter of choice.
"We should not take away the freedom of the individual to choose to die."
But he admitted that he had once briefly tried to end his life when he had a tracheostomy - an operation to fit a breathing tube.
"I briefly tried to commit suicide by not breathing. However, the reflex to breathe was too strong."
This is such a controversial topic with all kinds of ethical hang-ups. No one wants to shoulder the responsibility. Dr Kevorkian was a pioneer, a leader and a great man. Most of all, he was a true humanitarian.  He took the world on...ethics and all.

3 comments:

  1. PIC,
    I agree on some points , a person should have control over their bodies if they are in a sane mind .
    Christians believe that if you end your own life , they call it suicide and you will not make it to heaven ... go figure ... damn if you do and damn if you don't .
    Good post ...

    The boys got you an article , check WAG ,,, space stuff .

    Luv PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PIC
    This is a situation that works well for some, but not for some of the extremely devout folks.

    I think Christianity can embrace allowing people to end their agony if that is their wish.

    Personally, I think if there was a God, he would be merciful and give us this knowledge so we could give the terminally ill relief from their pain, give them the chance to find some peace.
    I don't want to leave this world choking and gasping in excruciating pain and soiling myself. I prefer to go with dignity at a time of my own choosing. Different strokes.

    Luv PIC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 110% .

    I on the other hand march by my own drummer and I call the shots with my body .

    Maxy and Dad on WB will Post at 12:01.

    Luv PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs