Thursday, May 08, 2014

Ask Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
I have led a very interesting  life  and have wanted to write  a book  about it  for a long time . I'm not officially a writer, but I have done a little  bit of writing  here and there for years . If I  want  to go into writing  and publishing  my autobiography, what should I do ?
Wannabe Author
Dear Wannabe  Author ,
You may want to start by taking  a writing  class . You may be able  to find  a class  specifically on writing  an autobiography or a memoir . This  will help you  learn how to structure  your story  effectively  and complete  your  project .
These  days  you can get a book  published  at a nominal cost  by using  services  such as Amazon's CreateSpace , which allows  you to  have  your  book  printed on demand .
That  means  that you pay  for the book to  be printed  only  when someone has paid  for it  upfront . The amount  of sales  that you  can garner  through such a service  depends largely on how well  you promote  your  book  and what kind  of  platform you have  for  getting the word  out .
Maxy

Dear Maxy,
I feel like I've gotten caught up in a web  of  conversations  between different  friends  where  they are  all talking  about each  other  in one way or another  . I fear I'm getting  sucked into  these  little chats  and finding that I am  voicing  unkind  and sometimes mean-spirited  comments, mainly because  we are  talking about these  people  all the time . I don't  want to be party  to this . How  can  I get my friends  to stop this ? Or  should I just stop talking to them ?
All Talked Out
Dear  All Talked Out ,
One of the best  quotes I have ever  read  is from Eleanor Roosevelt , who said," Great minds discuss  ideas ; average  minds discuss  events ; small minds  discuss people ."
You are  wise to recognize  that the conversations  you have been having  are not serving  you or your friends  . Rather  than "divorcing" your friends straight away, talk  to them . Tell them  that you feel  extremely  uncomfortable  about  the path  that  your conversations  have taken  of  late . Explain  that you are  friends with them  in the first place  because  you value their thoughts and creativity . Point out that you feel  you have been weighted  down  by gossiping  and you believe  this is derailing  all of you  from the opportunity to really  enjoy  your time together . Tell them you do not want to gossip anymore .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
My part-time assistant  of past three years  is about  to move away because  she is  graduating  from college .
I am so proud  of her . I have watched  as she  has blossomed  into a fine  young woman . She has  been an  amazing  support to me  in more ways  than I can outline . I want  to  do something special  for her  when she graduates  . Times  are lean in my business, so I can't  afford anything  lavish . But I do want to send  her off in a meaningful style . What do you recommended ?
Grateful
Dear Grateful ,
Why Not  take your assistant out to dinner  at a restaurant  that you believe  she would enjoy ?
If  you know any of  her friends  or  co-workers  with whom she would enjoy  sharing  this experience , invite  them as well . Make it a  celebration  by hosting  it in her honor  and using the time  to have everyone  tell stories  about her  and have her talk  about her plans  for the future . Pledge  to stay in touch  and follow  up on  that promise .
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs