Friday, April 20, 2012

Polar Bear Cubs: 'NEWS'....By Jenny



This article is an oral composition given by Jenny, an eight year old and my favorite crusader for the endangered polar bear. She is also very aware of the role climate change plays in the survival of the bears and other endangered species. Each month Jenny gives a composition accompanied by images and videos to her class. She calls her group Polar Cubs and is assisted in her efforts by her sister Sha and her brothers Jonny and Man. Often parents sit in to listen also. She is making an impact on her community.
Are you as aware or as passionate as this little girl about endangered species and about saving our planet? Very well done Jenny. I am so proud to be your Aunt Jeannie.

    http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/                                          http://www.naturecanada.ca/

Good afternoon Polar Cubs and all grownup visitors .
First I want to thank my Aunt Jeannie in Canada she send mama a lot of stuff about the polar bears , now she send me some to share with you , Aunt Jeannie writes Nanook letters for him daddy say Nanook can not write because he has paws .Now let get down to the business at hand .We will watch some videos and a short movie after I share with you some things .Ontario has the largest population of polar bears that is where my Aunt Jeannie live , there is about 20,000 bears left so you see why we need to get busy .Climate change is the greatest threat to polar bears , because the sea ice is melting very fast and the polar bears depend on the ice for hunting .Polar bears needs 5 pounds of blubber a day to survive , their favorite thing to eat is seals they hunt on the sea from November to the summer months in Ontario where Aunt Jeannie live. Aunt Jeannie told mama some very mean people kill the baby seals for their skins and leave them there . Why do they do that , meanness , mama said , I giggle because mama was so mad she said everything on earth had a reason to be here , we had no reason to kill more than we need to eat .
Summer , polar bears eat kelp, grasses and berries , they slow down their metabolism and live on their fat stores they remain inactive 80% of time to save energy like people do at home turn the lights off when not in use .
Mating occurs in April and May , I asked daddy what was mating and he said it was when the daddy polar bear put the baby polar bear in the mama bear oven she bakes it and when the baby is done the mama bear pops the baby bear out, mama look at him and roll her eyes and said Gil please can you do better than that daddy said baby I do not know what the mama bear do , I am a guy bear. I asked mama and she said just go with what your daddy said , my daddy was laughing so hard , daddy is so funny .
Female polar bears delay the implantation of the fetus until she gains enough weight then she enters a maternity den in October . Cubs are born after 2 months . Polar bears mostly have twins at birth a cub weighs about 1 pound their eyes is closed at birth they have a fine layer of hair on their bodies . Cubs feed on their mother milk the mother weans the cubs at 1 year of age they leave the den in February the cubs stay with their mama until they are 2 years old and learn how to survive in the harsh artic .
One more thing before we watch the videos and movie , junior cubs tell your parents and grandparents, they can get books and videos and some movies from the library. You can picked a species of your own cause we can join together mama have a meeting each Friday you can pick up a paper on your way out , take it home give it to your parents and tell them we need their help because we are only kids and need the grownups help so we will have a a change to try and fix it .My poppa says everything is connected in one way or another . If there is any questions after the meeting please ask my poppa knows everything .
Now I want to thank Aunt Jeannie
 
Jenny your Favorite Crusader , Kisses & Hugs

10 comments:

  1. Aunt Jeannie
    Thank you we enjoyed reading Jenny speech , now everyone will know you are our aunt love you very much . Hugs coming to you .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Jeannie
    A lot of junior cubs asked us could their parents join the junior cubs I told them it is a lot of fun learning about all the animals they say our aunt Jeannie is real smart , Jenny said you do not have to tell us that we know it already .
    Love and hugs and a lot of kisses coming your way and I love you very much .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Jeannie
    I am a big boy and I am sending you a lot of hugs and kisses .
    By by kiss kiss aunt Jeannie love you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Jeannie
    Thank you for putting my speech in a post , Mama said you would and make it look pretty . it do lookk pretty , I hope a lot of grownups read it to their kids so they can help us .
    I asked daddy did we have to say the same thing on all the speech he said no , you need the time to look for more stuff for us mama let me do my speech at the meeting today it was fun .
    a bunch of kisses and hugs to you and we all love you very much .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeannie,
    My kids think you are the greatest lady on the planet , I have a lot of people here that agrees with them .

    The introduction to Jen speech was amazing , it fit her to a tee . You fail to mention Jen is an eight (8) year-old going on eighty (80). I told them to put their thank-you's here . I also put on their laptops that Fun To Be Bad is a favorite like Wandering Brook , makes it easy to see what their Aunt Jeannie is up too.

    6 or 7 students along with their parents showed up at Baby's meeting today , Jen repeated her speech , they picked up pamphlets on their way out, we will see how it goes .

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jonny,
    I think Jenny gave a great speech. Maybe we can convince her to let me post her speech every month.
    I really like being your Aunt.
    Much love to you and a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sha,
    Do you think you should let parents join the junior cubs? I don't think they are junior enough, do you? But they would be perfect for Mama's group.
    Thankyou for thinking I am smart.That makes me feel very good.

    Lots of love to you and hugs and kisses too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Man,
    Thankyou for the hugs and kisses.I got every one. Yes, you are a big boy. You can ride a bike and drive your car. I will see you soon.

    Lots of love and kisses from Aunt Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny,
    You are most welcome. I think the speech looks very good on both blogs and I hope hundreds of people are reading it right now.They would learn a lot. I hope we can post more of your speeches in the future.
    I will send you more bear information as I find it. I think it is great that you gave your speech at Mama's meeting. It's good for everyone to learn a few bear facts.
    Lots of hugs and kisses and I love you right back....Aunt Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gil....You are most welcome.
    I love being the greatest lady on the planet. But it's just a little hard to live uo to.

    Your daughter is indeed rather mature. But it's nice that she reverts back to little girl just as often.

    I loved the speech. And you were the comic relief in the middle of it. Nice stab at explaining the 'birds and the bees'...Hahaha!

    It was an inspired idea to let Jenny give her speech at Nee's meeting. Jenny enjoyed it.

    People must have been impressed with her if they showed up at the meeting with their kids. I hope Nee gets a few more converts.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs