Thursday, September 01, 2011

Wayne Sabaj : Unemployed Man Finds $150,000 In His Back Yard

 
                      
A man in northwest Illinois found a valuable surprise in his backyard Tuesday afternoon : A duffle bag filled with stacks of $20 bills.

As Wayne Sabaj , a 49-year-old umemployed carpenter living in Johnsburg , explained to WGN , he had been looking for broccoli in his garden when he saw the duffle bag . After Sabaj showed the bag to his father , with whom he lives , they decided to alert the police.

When the McHenry Sheriff's Department arrived , they discovered a second bag . All total , the bags contained $150,000.

Sabaj told the Northwest Herald that he briefly considered keeping the money for himself , but he feared not only where the money came from , but  who might be coming back to retrieve it .

"I went and spent my last $10 on cigarettes yesterday , and I turned in $150,000 today ," says Sabaj.

"I haven't worked in two years . Yeah , I was like , I could really use this money," Sabaj told ABC7 . "With my luck , it would be a bank robbery and I'd get caught  and they would say I robbed a bank."

The bags are in the custody of police who are processing them for fingerprints  and other evidence , according to the Northwest Herald . There are currently no suspects . In the bags place , investigators left a business card listing a phone number and a "please call" note . If an owner is not identified , they may assist Sabaj in determining whether he can claim the money . Good luck with that Wayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs