Thursday, January 06, 2011

Gates Cutting Pentagon Budget by $78bn Over Five Years

Gates said it was imperative to make "every defence dollar count"

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates has announced a $78bn (£50.3bn) military budget cut, to be achieved in part by scrapping a $14bn amphibious vehicle. The cuts over the next five years come in addition to $100bn in internal savings already announced. Those savings will be redirected to other defence programmes, but the new cuts slow growth in the overall budget. But cuts to weapons programmes are certain to encounter fierce opposition from members of Congress. Much of the roughly $178bn in defence cuts will come through reduced administrative costs, new organizational efficiencies, and slashed personnel costs, which the defence department called a "vigorous scrub of bureaucratic structures".

The Pentagon's budget is expected to be $553bn in 2012, reflecting roughly 3% growth. After that, growth would slow and would be essentially flat in 2015 and 2016, the Pentagon said. This is the latest Pentagon acknowledgement that it can't be exempt from the need to make savings to cut the US government deficit.
American defence spending has ballooned with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But the details of the proposed savings are sure to prove controversial - with some bound to argue they don't go far enough, while others will say they are too deep.

Even with these planned cuts, the US Army and Marine Corps will still be larger than when Mr Gates became defence secretary four years ago. And the US will continue to spend a significantly bigger proportion of its national income on defence than any of its major allies. The reduction in commitments in Iraq and the anticipated ones in Afghanistan in the next few years will help ease the strain.
But there will still be major upheavals for the US armed forces after the years of massive spending increases, and they come at a time when Washington feels its relative military strength is being challenged by emerging powers like China.

Mr Gates said much of the savings would be achieved by eliminating more than 100 general and flag officer positions, more than 200 top civilian defence positions, by cancelling redundant programmes and through reduced administrative costs. As much as $100bn in savings would not be sliced from the overall budget, Mr Gates said, but would be reinvested in shipbuilding, missile defence, intelligence, reconnaissance, healthcare for wounded soldiers, and other programmes.

Among the major weapons systems set for the scrap heap is the amphibious Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV), made by General Dynamics Corporation. In addition, the Pentagon will end an Army surface-to-air missile programme. Mr Gates has been sceptical about whether large military vehicles, like tanks and EFVs, will continue to be crucial military instruments as engagement in modern warfare changes. He has previously said the enemy has developed sophisticated weapons capable of attacking ships waiting close to shore.

Other cost-cutting measures announced by Mr Gates include plans to cut orders for the F-35 joint strike fighter over the next three to five years to compensate for repeated delays in development and testing.
He said he wanted to end the post-9/11 Pentagon's "culture of endless money where cost was rarely a consideration". The major weapons programmes cuts are likely to encounter opposition from US congressmen and senators in whose constituencies the arms are manufactured.
"I'm not happy," House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard McKeon told reporters. He said the cuts were greater than defence companies had been expecting.

40 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08:00 PM

    It's wobbling along and how is your fat arse .

    ReplyDelete
  2. All lumpy with cellulite..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:12:00 PM

    Edwards post , he was at Elizabeth funeral ,did not give the eulogy.
    I had to go re-read my post to see if he was there , he also has his kids .
    Edwards did the thing Americans are going to hate him for ..
    He asked his babys' mama to marry him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how his kids are taking that. Not too well I think.The other woman moves in to mom's place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:17:00 PM

    I hope they come so you can get out, they are saying again we will get snow ,
    New Years Eve , 2000 was the last time we had snow to stay on the ground for 5/6 days .

    ReplyDelete
  6. America used to have wonderful family values. They were an example for the whole world to follow. What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The guy on Deal or No Deal has a kind of mullet, would you believe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:20:00 PM

    Think back the weather was like this when you met the Rock...you couldn't see your hand 6 inches in front of your face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:23:00 PM

    Greed and money happen and morals was thrown to the wind .

    What channel is Deal or No deal on ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything interesting happen today? My day was beyond dull.It was the dullest. I just started a 'Robin Cook' book called TOXIN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The game show channel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:24:00 PM

    Edwards didn't let Elizabeth get cold ...it is to soon , it's like a slap in his kids face .

    ReplyDelete
  13. The winter I met the Rock was a very very bad winter. It was right after New Year's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:29:00 PM

    I just laid around getting My Bear stuff together and the guys are playing poker, I make some snacks , put my babies to bed .Made some snacks.
    I asked them could I play and they said hell no , they would just give the money and go home ..hahaha
    It's 8 of them .

    ReplyDelete
  15. She only died four weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:31:00 PM

    It's right after New Years now ...be sure to ask him do he remember .

    How is his cold ???

    ReplyDelete
  17. They will always resent that woman. Their mother may have kept on fighting if the baby and girlfriend hadn't come to light and destroyed her world.

    Elizabeth always said what a great marriage she had.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did dad get my lettr??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:34:00 PM

    That's not enough time to mourn if you really love someone .
    I doubt if he could get elected to dog catcher office.

    I just seen on the need where the homeless man met his mother ...I am crying , he is so happy , she's in her 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a bit of an advantage at the poker table.

    The cold is still pretty bad.I think his resistance is down. He'll be okay.The extreme cold doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:37:00 PM

    Yes he got your letter and told me to give you a message .

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to see that reunion.It must have been sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:40:00 PM

    I bet Dave get the Guy with the golden voice on his show , I will keep a look out in the paper .

    I don't want to play with them. I was just being a smart ass with Chris/Gil.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What's my message??

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:44:00 PM

    They showed it on our 10 o'clock news .I bet they will have a video of it because right now he's news,

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll check youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous10:48:00 PM

    Dad says you can't get rid of him that easy ...his hands don't hurt that bad ,he says the old bum is still hell on wheels .
    He said he know you are busy and hope he is not being a bother .
    Dad is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous12:15:00 AM

    I only have a small glass every once in a while , I'm diabetic .
    I only ate a small piece of the cake Dad had that sucker so drunk , aunt Mae/Sally/Dan had a ball with Sis cake .
    Aunt Mae/ Sally love their Vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous12:20:00 AM

    Ain't it's nice to know we are perfect and understands each other .
    Gil says I write just like I talk .
    When we first he would say talk to me and just laugh and say I had a way with words and he just loved it .
    That long ass bastard is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous12:28:00 AM

    Sweetie it's about that time , where do the time go , it passes so fast .
    I bet we will just look at each other and giggle.
    I have so much fun with you.
    You are unique . Those are Dads' words .

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous12:31:00 AM

    That will be wonderful , I bet he have never met a bunch like us .

    ReplyDelete
  32. Are those boys still playing cards?
    You mentioned the assistant is gone today?Boy, when Gil says jump, everyone says,"how high"?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am assuming she was just moved to another class. I guess the co-director of the board of education has some clout.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous12:35:00 AM

    I answer the Ruby person on the penn post ...her other comment I didn't know what she was talking about so I just skipped it .

    ReplyDelete
  35. I guess it's time to say goodnight old pal.
    I need my beauty sleep. I keep thinking maybe a miracle will happen while I'm asleep and I'll wake up beautiful and wrinkle free.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous12:40:00 AM

    Yes they are still playing poker it can go on til morning .

    She may be out sick she was coughing a lot ... Emily says we are the 4/5 set of parents that been to school about her ...
    When it comes to the kids he do mean business .
    We don't want her fired just leave my baby along ...this has been a thing with her since pre-school.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous12:45:00 AM

    Hahaha ...me too..neither one of us wear a lot of make-up so we shold age beautiful.
    I like for my skin to breath .
    You see a lot of women have to put on their make-up before they leave the house .

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous12:48:00 AM

    Sweetie ...I will say good night and pleasent dreams and snuggle with the Rock tell him you are keeping him warm.[giggles]

    See you at twilight and I will bring the cookies and tea or do you call the biscuits ?

    Goodnite ...HUGS & KISSES ...PIC
    Kiss the Rock .

    ReplyDelete
  39. So have a good one old girl and don't let the bedbugs bite. I hear there is an epidemic infestation of them in New York. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel there right now.
    Billy the exterminator says there are about ten different kinds of cockroaches in Louisiana. He has been in a few houses that are over-run with them. Up the walls in the cupboards, in the food...Yechhh.

    See you in the moonlight. Bring a flaslight and a bucket of gumbo. I get so hungry at night. I'll bring muffins, they're pretty good.
    Take care of yourself. God bless your little'uns....Luv PIC

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous12:55:00 AM

    PS" We tried to get Billy for Leon's house but he wa busy . So you see how bad it was there ..
    You have to keep your house clean ...especially the kitchen ..
    NITE...Witchy

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs