Monday, November 01, 2010

10 Possible Ways the Human Race Could End

10) Oil Crash
Some doomsayers predict an "Economic Hiroshima," or peak oil crisis, where fossil fuels dry up, triggering an economic meltdown followed by the collapse of the agricultural system and mass starvation. Please tell me French fries aren't an agricultural product.
9) Cyberterrorism
In the old days, if you wanted to be a terrorist, you needed explosives. Today, all you need is an iPad. With the click of a mouse, baddies - whether religious zealots, political activists, or mischievous teenage hackers - can deploy nefarious computer worms that bring down power plants, hospital equipment, even nuclear facilities. The threat is such that the U.S. military is planning to quadruple its cyber-warrior force. And by cyber-warrior we mean 19-year-old Bill Gates in fatigues, armed with a USB stick, and a Doritos party pack.
8) A New Disease
According to John Leslie, author of The End of the World: The Science and Ethics of Human Extinction, not only are many deadly diseases developing immunity to our best drugs, but global warming could thaw out some virulent disease from the past, such as the 1918-1919 flu - which killed 50 million - and new viruses could even filter down from outer space.
7) 2012
Where will you be Dec. 12, 2012? That' s the last day on the Mayan long-count calendar and some think it will be the last day on anyone's calendar & that the sun will erupt in a super-storm and destroy all life on Earth. In the movie 2012, people face volcanic eruptions, typhoons, and melting glaciers. But maybe the Mayans just wanted to give us a reason to party.
6) Nuclear Catastrophe
As unstable states like Pakistan and North Korea expand their nuclear programs, the risk of nuclear war is as great as it's been since the disbanding of the Soviet Union. Whether humans could survive a nuclear winter - the severe cold and diminished sunlight that scientists predict would follow such a war - has been the subject of much scientific debate. Given that cockroaches would be among the few survivors, extinction in this case might be seen as a bonus.
5) Global Warming
 In the last decade, climate-related disasters such as tsunamis,  flooding, droughts, earthquakes and hurricanes have affected 2.4 billion people. It's thought that global warming could eventually turn Earth into a planet like Venus, where, according to author John Leslie, greenhouse-effect temperatures are sufficient to melt lead. Hot.
4) Overpopulation
The world population is growing by about 74 million a year. The UN predicts it will reach nine billion people in the next 40 years, and those are just OctoMom' s grandkids. Overpopulation could eventually lead to crop failure and starvation.
3) Cosmic Doom
Perhaps our fate is in the stars. It's commonly believed that dinosaurs became extinct after a massive asteroid hit the earth 65 million years ago; many think that if Shoemaker-Levy had hit Earth instead of Jupiter, we'd be goners. (Bruce Willis? We might need you again.) Other cosmic threats include black holes and the heat death of the universe.
2) Superhuman Uprising
If humans get overzealous with genetic modification, could we accidentally engineer an organism that rapidly reproduces and takes over the earth? Scientists have created, for example, "super mice" that can run at great speeds for a long time, and while they stress that applying such science to humans would be wrong, it's never stopped anyone before. This debate is escalating into a fight.
1) Robots Replacing Us
I wish I was just making stuff up at this point, but here goes ; some have posited that nanotechnology could lead to grey goo -- out-of-control self-replicating robots that could consume all living matter on Earth. Nothing even close to grey goo exists today, but Eric Drexler's 1986 non-fiction book Engines of Creation outlined a worst-case scenario in which these bacteria-like nanomachines destroyed the biosphere. Can I stop now?

There are other possibilities: What about powerful poisons  introduced into the atmosphere or water systems by human hands or even occurring naturally or unnaturally from the cocktail of chemicals we spew into every stream and river? What about extra terrestrials landing and annihilating us.? Okay, okay, I'll stop.  You could drive yourself crazy thinking about it.  We don't need another gloom n' doom preacher harping on something we are powerless to stop. Someday, the human race will come to an end but until that happens, 'it's party time'.

 Seriously though, which one do you think will bring our existence to an end?

68 comments:

  1. Hi Pic,How are they hanging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:59:00 PM

    Hi cutie...watcha doing?
    We have bad thunderstorms warning out and they are suppose to come in between 11:30/12: tonight. It's raing now and we are suppose to get some hail the size of golf balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I figure humankind will be exterminated when the Aliens squirt deadly gas into the atmosphere. No living thing will escape. If I'm right someone will owe me ten bucks for guessing right but I won't be able to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:05:00 PM

    I enjoy the post about the end of the human race , If the aliens don't hurry all they will have to do is take over the planet because we are doing a pretty fair job on destroying ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:09:00 PM

    Now that's great the kids like original costumes that we make better, mine didn't want any that was in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new series started on A&E. It's called 'THE WALKING DEAD'Sunday nights at ten.I watched the first one last night. It was pretty good except for the gore.

    A sherrif wakes up out of a coma in hospital from a gun shot wound.He is still wearing an oxygen mask ,which apparently saved him because everyone else is dead in the whole town, maybe the world.He let's himself out of the hospital and there are bodies strew everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:15:00 PM

    Dad had his bucket and trick or treat on the compound, Sis bought him a white wig and put one of Sally housecoats on him , Sally is a large woman about asize 20 I think, he wouldn't let her makeup his face.
    I seen your notes on the Charlie and Mel posts...it is sad we are not trated equally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:17:00 PM

    I seen the last and you know I will watch it...gore and all.
    Dad said to tell you he left you some notes on SH's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:18:00 PM

    You know I love horror movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is a picture I would like to see, Dad in his costume...HA!
    I will post pictures of the twins if J or Bio took some Pictures.

    And he had the nerve to demand candy.....HA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:29:00 PM

    Emily ask Dad whose child was he and he told her he was his sons' oldest boy and She asked Gilly who he was and he said poppa and noooo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:31:00 PM

    If it sweet or pasta you are going to give Dad some or he will start talking to you in that damn italian .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:32:00 PM

    I am ready for Monday...I hope they are ready for me...HA !

    ReplyDelete
  14. They ain't ready for you baby. They won't know what hit them. I think you will enjoy iy.

    Dad said you had some good pasta recipes.Why don't you put a couple on the blog? People love collecting good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:37:00 PM

    How is Nana, did you get her some soft candy?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:42:00 PM

    At one time I was putting recipes on the blog and I don't know why I stopped, but I will put some up , maybe a southern crown roast and pasta.
    I use all the recipes you put on here, if it has refined sugar, I just substitute equal, and you can't tell the difference in taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess Gilly was told not to tell anyone who was in the white wig.He is so cute. Did he go to the doors and say 'trick or treat'?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:48:00 PM

    I remember now why I stopped..
    All my recipes are spicy , I use a lot of peppers/onions and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:51:00 PM

    Yes they knocked on the doors and he begged for the candy, his poppa has him trained really well.
    Everyone on the compound knew who dad was , but the people across the street looked at him kinda strange.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will find some more recipes. I still like to look through recipes even though I can't eat most of them.

    A lot of people love spicy food and we love garlic and onions.Let's have some of that 'Creole Cookin'.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:56:00 PM

    Hurricane season is over and now our tornado season began today.
    I will try to keep them down here...okay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Let's make a deal....you keep the tornados down there and we will keep the snow and ice up here....okay?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous11:02:00 PM

    Awwwwshit...I guess I will, the stuff I find is all for SH's and I find some for here every so often, we got both blog separate and that's what make them so nice.

    What to know what I did last night on the blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I felt an icy chill in the air tonight. It promised snow. We had a little snow yesterday. We like a white Christmas.

    The upsetting thing in Canada right now is the cost of energy.We have to heat our homes or we die and the energy companies take ad vantage.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:05:00 PM

    You got a deal partner..high-five.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What did you do on the blogs?????

    ReplyDelete
  27. You should update your profile and so should I.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous11:06:00 PM

    They are telling us now on TV to be prepared to seek shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous11:09:00 PM

    I put Charlie and Capri drama on FTBB and had to deleted it and put it where it on SH.

    What would I put on my profile ?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like the fact that the blogs are so different.We could probably run another with advice for women and recipes and just girly stuff but I don't think either of us could give it the time it deserves. It would be fun though.We have discussed it before.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous11:12:00 PM

    I notice a lot of people don't have a profile or it don't go into details...I updated it once and I was going to put on there about doing the naughty but I don't talk very naughty anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous11:16:00 PM

    It would be nice to have another one and we don't have to post on it everyday just when we find something good for girls and sometime men...We can just post this & that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I deleted Wildman's post before I got his hotmail address. Would you email it to me please?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous11:19:00 PM

    Our guy haven't posted in 5 days he's out in the field I guess but I still like reading his stuff .

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous11:20:00 PM

    Okay give me a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I guess you're right. We wouldn't have to post every day.I leave that up to you Sweetie. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous11:23:00 PM

    INCOMING MAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous11:24:00 PM

    We go to the polls tomorrow and I will go early, they open at 6:am.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous11:26:00 PM

    I will need a name...did you get my E-MAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous11:28:00 PM

    Not bad for two-part time authors ..HUH ?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous11:30:00 PM

    Will I have Maxy????

    ReplyDelete
  42. Maxy is our good luck chaarm of course.He just got a buzz cut.

    I have noticed neither of us is very naughty lately. Does that mean we are getting old?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous11:38:00 PM

    INCOMING MAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous11:40:00 PM

    I will wait to put my recipes on the blog and I always have a fresh fruit of the month pie.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Profile...You just put your interests, favorite things,and ashort description of yourself...for example:
    I am a tall, beautiful,horny Creole who dabbles in witchcraft, can read my partners mind and cook a nice gumbo.I am a personal friend of Nanook and intend to save the polar bears and the world from global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous11:45:00 PM

    No , it means we are satisfied with our sexuality and we have found our "niche."

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous11:46:00 PM

    Thank you , I should have Nanook in their, I will write it down and fix it tomorrow. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous11:50:00 PM

    I think you are right, you will hear soon.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Well thankyou for putting it so nicely. I would hate to think we were getting dull and boring.I hate to admit it but I don't feel as naughty as I used to.Oh, it still comes over me from time to time,just not so often.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have to fix my profile too. I read it for the first time since I wrote it a cuople of days ago and it sounded so stupid and conceited.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous11:58:00 PM

    I think I'm growing up..after listening to you and Sis..sex don't make the love go round..love do. And that my dear friend you and I have a lot of that.

    ReplyDelete
  52. The sex just makes the love part better. It's the gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  53. The new 'Criminal Minds',tomorrow, looks good.It's nice to watch serial killers while you are safe and snug in your own home.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous12:08:00 AM

    I never go to drafts unless I am putting something in there for you to edit.
    I bet you have a lot of drafts you could post.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous12:12:00 AM

    Gil is still working on his PC and I told him he better go to bed and the fool says he's not working tomorrow...shit I will have all three unger my feet.
    We will start interviewing tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  56. There is a lot of stuff in drafts I have never bothered to post. I find something else and then I forget about the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  57. The guy on Craig is witty and clever. I don't know his name.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous12:17:00 AM

    Dad laid claim to SH and said he had a lot of space to talk to you. He says that's one of his jobs and he asked Gil did he want him to work in his place...Dad is a hoot .

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous12:19:00 AM

    His Name is Tyler Perry , he's the one they said was going with Oprah, he plays a woman called mu-dear.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Maybe it's a good idea for Gil to be there for the interviewing. He will scare all the riff-raff away.
    Just don't let him pick a gorgeous,stacked Swedish housekeeper.Swedish people like to wander around in the nude; at least the ones I have met.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Is he really going with Oprah. If he is it's for her money. Can't be any other reason. I think O is bi-sexual.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anonymous12:26:00 AM

    I better sign off now I have to vote tomorrow, we don't have much to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Okay Sweetie, get some rest. Vote for the best one out of a bad lot.
    Sweet dreams and drag Long Shank off to bed too.
    See you tomorrow, Night...LUV PIC

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anonymous12:31:00 AM

    O is bi-sexual and I did a post on them before we open SH and he's weathy in his own right, he's a producer/writer ...he and Oprah produce the movie Presious .

    ReplyDelete
  65. Oh, I remember him now....Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  66. Anonymous12:34:00 AM

    I will drag him off to bed...he writing a book , with all this mess going on he had to put it on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Anonymous12:36:00 AM

    Sweetie ...have a good night and pleasent dreams and may they all come true.
    GOODNITE...HUGS & KISSES...PIC
    Kiss the Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Anonymous12:38:00 AM

    PS: He's the one that produce the movie Janet Jackson is in.
    NITE....SWEETIE

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs