Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Park51 : Islamic Center Design Looks Modern, Secular In Artist Rendering

          

Honey Comb
An artist rendering shows the interior view of Part51 community Center and Mosque . The early conceptual sketches of the Community  Center  envision a structure with white walls and floors made up  of a honeycomb of abstract shapes.

An artist rendering shows the proposed interior view of Park51 Community Center and Mosque . The early conceptual sketches of  the Community Center envisions a structure with white walls and floors made up of a honeycomb of abstract shapes.

"We  want to have a marriage between Islamic  architecture and New York  City .We want  to do something cool," said El-Gamal .  Actual working plans for the center are still some time away. An architect has yet to be selected.  Planning is just beginning to emerge from a brainstorming phase disrupted when criticism of the center exploded over the summer.
Fundraising will probably begin in earnest in about 30 days , once the work of establishing a nonprofit group to oversee the center is complete. Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf , the Brooklyn-born El-Gamal said he was caught off-gaurd by critcism from people offended by the concept of building an Islamic intitution so close the World Trade Center  site.
.
Some have called it an exercise in triumphalism , intended to plant  Islam's flag at the sence of the attacks and deliberately provoke Americans . Others say they are against the center because they don't see any growth  of Islam in the U.S. "People  have been calling this ground zero mosque . It's not at ground zero and it's not  a mosque,"he said ."Our identity has been stolen from us . It has been stolen by the extremists."
Revenue for operations would come from membership dues . The goal is to have around 4,300 paying members , with about half paying $2,700 per year for a family plan that would include fitness center access.
A bigger challenge could be persuading enough New Yorkers that the project is just another community center . El-Gamal said he is optimistic his message  will eventually break through. He said the group is planning a series of town hall style meetings in which the relatives of 9/11 victims would be encouraged to voice their concerns. At the very least , he said , the project is on the map.
"From a pubilicity standpoint , I think we've gotten $50 million worth of press," El-Gamal said. "It was good people that came together with good intentions , and when that happens , good things usually come out of it."
The saga continues : We will be watching this one very closely...updates as they become available...stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:58:00 PM

    My dear sweet lady
    Really enjoyed your letter and like always was very happy to know you and your family is well.
    It is fun to met so many people and to find out they are in the dark about the changing weather patterns. I so enjoy converting them or at least trying and I think I am making a dent in the way some people thinks, or maybe they join just to shut me up.
    I asked Nanatte to pick out twenty items that cost around $10 so I can give them away.I asked Nanette or Lois to replace each item I gave away.
    People loved free stuff and will spend a forture to win something, I learned that in the gaming business. If things are slow just give something away.
    My dear Rhonda's daughter and I keep in touch and see each other often, she lives in Arlington, Texas, a city between Dallas and Fort Worth,Texas. She is married to a nice man,a retired football player they married in 2000 and seems to be very happy and their kids are happy. They all think the world of my daughter.
    My dear lady I am always amused at some of the things that are written about me and Mike Weiss is one I thinks of first. Old Mike kept me out front and center in the public and he could spend a tale to make it worth reading.Wonder what he would write if he knew I was runnung a yard sale.
    My son is a genius for putting my daughter in my seat.If you feel a shaking up there it is not an earthquake, it is just me jumping up and down laughing at the idiots. I know Charles will shit on himself but also scared to say anything. My son made it clear his family was off limits unless they was ready to meet their maker.
    My son's secretary called him in this morning to meet with some of Circus Circus big wigs to see when he wanted to get the ball rolling.
    My daughter is fit to be tied saying my son have something she needed but it will have to wait. I wonder what that could be.
    My dear lady enough about me and the good time I am having.
    Hope you are real cozy with your husband now that's it's cooler. Me, I don't sleep along when it is cold. I know you get my meaning, if the gun come out the holster and wants to shoot, it nice to know the bullet is close by.
    My dear lady how is your mother, hope she is in fine spirits ,tell her hello for me and I am still on the watch out for Romeo.
    How is your dear mother arthritis ?I find mine feel a little bit better in cool weather, here is hoping hers is also.
    My dear lady, I will leave you for a little while but I promise to return.
    Your friend and secret admirer.
    G.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs