Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Earliest Photographic Images of Humans Discovered

 In the steady barrage of images that make up the digital age, it's almost impossible to fathom a time when photographs of people were nonexistent. But rest assured, kids, that such a time did exist -- and it really wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things. So the recent discovery of what appears to be two men near the river's edge in a photo of Cincinnati taken in 1848 is kind of a big deal among photography historians.
As reported by NPR's Robert Krulwich last month, the photo was taken by Charles Fontayne and William Porter -- who were standing on the other side of the Ohio River -- on Sunday, September 24th, 1848, 162 years prior to Krulwich's post about it. The photo is what's known as a daguerreotype -- an image developed via an early photographic process developed in France. When zooming in on the photo, Krulwich noticed what appeared to be two human figures. You can see them in a close-up image below:
 A reader of Krulwich's blog took the photo and "lightened it up a bit and messed with the contrast a little" and posted a clearer version of it on his own blog. He thinks that "the man on the left is standing behind the wooden beam wall (wharf? dock?) with his left leg up on the wall and his left hand resting on his knee, while the man on the right is standing on top of that wall."
In case you're wondering if this is the earliest photograph taken of a human -- as Krulwich himself did in a recent headline -- well, it's not. The credit for photographing a human for the first time is generally given to Louis Daguerre, the inventor of the daguerreotype process. In an 1838 photo he took of Paris, Daguerre caught an image of a man who appears to be getting his shoes or boots shined at a street corner. You can see the figure -- together with that of the shoeshiner -- in the bottom left of the image here.
Daguerre's process involved exposing a chemically treated metal plate for several minutes. If someone or something was moving within the frame, it wouldn't show up in a daguerreotype photo. But since this person remained relatively stationary as the image was captured, he showed up in the picture. The anonymous Parisian thus gets credit for being the first person ever to have his picture taken.

We wonder what he'd think about Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nee,
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend. We had a nice one, lots of fun and Christmas shopping. Don't have a clue what to get Nana though and she is like a kid on Christmas. She can't wait for her presents. But boy, she is so hard to please. I already have some books for her. How about you have you started your Xmas shopping yet?

    I bet the kids are so excited about going out trick or treating tonight. I understand Gilly will be going on Dad's scooter. That will be fun for all of them. What costume is Gilly wearing? I know Sha is a princess but I can't imagine what Jill will be.
    I love to see the kids excited like that. I will miss going out with the twins.
    I hope your headaches are better.I think if you sacrifice a chicken and make a Shirley voodoo doll and stick a pin in it's eye your headache will be much better.

    See you later, luv.. Genie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:42:00 PM

    Hello my brown-eyed Genie,
    I just got in about 9:pm amd my ass s draging but I had a lot of fun.
    Sis man Gilly and Jonny up as Mutt and Jeff clowns painted their faces ...Sha was a princess and Jill was Tom Sawyer...Jill is always true to form, Jonny loaned her a pair of his pants/shirt, she says it's keen having a big brother she can wear his clothes.
    I know you miss going out with the twin and I hope BIO takes them some place nice for a lot of candy.
    My headaches are better , haven't had one since Tuesday .
    I did better than that I sacrifice 2 chickens and a pig made dolls of the uncles/Shirley and Leon...boy I feel great.
    Dad had to ride Gilly he walks so slow or run the other way,on the way home Gilly got so tired he went to sleep on Dad. My babies got a lot of goodies we just did the compound and a couple of blocks on the other side of the street.
    I told Dad to make his notes shorter and not to use anonymous and he said you wouldn't know it was him and I told yes you would know his musty butt and he just giggles .
    You got Nana books and she loves pretty scarfs and maybe some gloves wrap each in a different package, I will think of something else ...NAN and I are having the same problem with Sis.
    Have a good nite and I will see you later...Hugs & Kisses...NEE

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs