Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lion's Mane Jellyfish Stings 150 People...After it Died

A large jellyfish stung approximately 150 people at the Wallis Sands State Beach in Rye, New Hampshire on Wednesday. The injured included ten children treated at the Portsmouth Regional Hospital. The jellyfish weighed approximately fifty pounds and had thirteen foot tentacles.
A lifeguard spotted the jellyfish within a hundred and fifty meters of shore. The lifeguard had swum out on a surf board and attempted to use a pitchfork to remove the creature from the water. The jellyfish was already dead and broke into pieces during removal. It was stingers on the creature’s tentacles, which remain active for three to four days after death that caused the injuries to swimmers in the water.


Lion’s mane jellyfish are native to the cold waters of the Arctic, north Atlantic, and north Pacific oceans. They are seldom found so far south. They are the largest known species of jellyfish, capable of reaching a bell diameter of eight feet with hundreds of tentacles reaching upward of ninety feet. Lion’s mane jellyfish feed primarily on plankton, small fish, and other species of smaller jellyfish. Their sting causes burning and tissue inflammation but is usually not lethal.
The Lion’s Mane jellyfish’s is typically seen the boreal waters of the extreme northern region and is almost never seen in southern latitudes.
The beach is temporarily closed until it is safe to go in the water.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:38:00 PM

    My dear sweet lady,
    I had a very enjoyable day, it was hot but the sky was over cast so it didn't seem so hot.
    It was my intentions to talk to you earlier. I ate dinner and dozed off but here I am.
    Got your note and was very pleased. I was going to tell you where dago came from. You are what you make of yourself regardless of what your ethnic is, yes we are arrogent and aggressive. I find it amusing how stupid some people are to judge a person's knowledge or worth by the color of his shin.
    Now my son and my daughter,yes he pursued her from the first time he saw her I am told, my son was only going to stay unitl we got settle and check on things every few months, he had a thriving business and 2 or 3 ladies in Reno, they all knew about each other,and they still wanted him,I asked Leon had he heard my son say when he was leaving and Leon informed me he didn't think he was leaving and I asked why, Leon said let me show you.There she was working for me, a very attractive young lady but so young you see my son's ladies was as old as him or older. I asked him why did he want to make love to such a young woman and he informed me he was going to marry her and by damn she wouldn't talk to him.
    I was on the floor one day and asked her did she know who I was, she said yes and keep your son away from me. I asked her did she have an interest in my son and she said now old man that's none of your business and if you or think I will go to bed with him to keep this f**king job you can stick it up your a** and walked off.
    Right then my dear lady, I wanted my son to have her because she was his match and he knows it quite well.
    The trees, we really don't know what happen to them as of yet but we have some ideas the plant nursery guy says it may be salt.
    My daughter can talk up a blue streak if she likes and cares about you and there are very few people she warms up too.
    I remember when she was friends with the lady that was stalking David and she said the woman was as crazy as hell if she thought she was fooling her, I think she liked her. Maybe I should say she felt sorry for her.
    At a later day I will tell you about the lady coming here to visit him about 3 weeks after getting here, he hadn't made first base with my daughter yet but he had just met her father and he invited us over to a barn party.
    Dear lady you will have to remind me of the things I promise to tell you, I am getting older you know.

    How is your dear sweet husband ?? I hope the heat is not to bad there and he can sit in the yard or go for a drive. I know the heat is bad on your dear mother but keep her as cool as you can.
    Long winded again but I do enjoy this and hope you don't mind putting up with an old man blabbling. I will say so long for now ad talk soon.
    G.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs