Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ancient Species Discovered in Dive Below Barrier Reef....Also New Species Observed



PART ONE OF DIVE AT OSPREY REEF

Australian scientists have discovered bizarre prehistoric sea life hundreds of metres below the Great Barrier Reef, in an unprecedented mission to document species under threat from ocean warming.
Ancient sharks, giant oil fish, swarms of crustaceans and a primitive shell-dwelling squid species called the Nautilus were among the astonishing life captured by remote controlled cameras at Osprey Reef.

Lead researcher Justin Marshall Thursday said his team had also found several unidentified fish species, including "prehistoric six-gilled sharks" using special low-light sensitive cameras which were custom designed to trawl the ocean floor, 1,400 metres (4,593 feet) below sea level.
"Some of the creatures that we've seen we were sort of expecting, some of them we weren't expecting, and some of them we haven't identified yet," said Marshall, from the University of Queensland.
"There was a shark that I really wasn't expecting, a false cat shark, which has a really odd dorsal fin."
The team used a tuna head on a stick to attract the creatures, which live beyond the reach of sunlight.
Marshall said the research had been made more urgent by recent oil spills affecting the world heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef, and the growing threat to its biodiversity by the warming and acidification of the world's oceans.
"One of the things that we're trying to do by looking at the life in the deep sea is discover what's there in the first place, before we wipe it out," Marshall said.
"We simply do not know what life is down there, and our cameras can now record the behaviour and life in Australia's largest biosphere, the deep sea," he added.
Scientists have already warned that the 345,000-square kilometre (133,000-square mile) attraction is in serious jeopardy, as global warming and chemical runoff threaten to kill marine species and cause disease outbreaks.Chinese coal ship Shen Neng 1 gouged a three-metre scar in the reef when it ran aground whilst attempting to take a short cut on April 3, leaking tonnes of oil into a famed nature sanctuary and breeding site.
About 200,000 litres of heavy fuel oil spewed into waters south of the reef last March when shipping containers full of fertiliser tumbled off the Hong Kong-flagged Pacific Adventurer during a cyclone, piercing its hull.It was one of Australia's worst ever oil spills.
Marshall said the cameras would now be sent to the sludge-ridden Gulf of Mexico to monitor the effects of the oil spill there on marine life. I wonder how much marine life is left in the Gulf to monitor.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:33:00 AM

    My dear sweet lady,
    Looking forward to seeing part two of the dive at Osprey Reef and the threat to the prehistoric species from ocean warming.
    To be truthful, I never gave it much thought until my daughter started preaching about the polar bears and global warming and how we was destroying the earth and we all needed to take a stand no matter how minor, it would make a difference.
    Those prehistoric species are so ugly they are beautiful, thanks a bunch for sharing.
    I hope you are enjoying your day with your family and the weather is not to hot, it's nice here for a change.
    I know your twin grandsons are a joy, my Jill has laid claims on the one name Jake and says Sha can have Sam. They are a pair my granddaughters.
    I have to get the kids ready now to pick up their parents at 2:pm at the airport. So I will check you later.
    So, dear lady have a nice and peaceful day.
    Big G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29:00 PM

    Hi sweetie...made it back in one piece and I'm glad to be home.
    Got so much loving from my babies, I missed them so much.
    I see dad kept you company and he says he likes talking to you. I told him he better be good and he says he's always good.
    Got in about 4:pm this evening .
    I'm going to send you an e-mail now. ...HUGS & KISSES...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Big G.
    I am fairly certain your day, and in fact, your last few days have been hectic. I don't know where the kids get all that energy but, boy, I wish I could borrow some. I hope you were able to comfort Gilly. Sounded like he missed his mama. You're a good grandpa.

    Our Sunday was beautiful, sunny and warm with the sun sparkling on the water.A little breeze made it a perfect boating day. We spent it with our daughter and her family and a couple of relatives of ours,visiting from Detroit.They love to come up in the summer and go boating with us.The food was delicious. My son-in-law is a master with the grill. We drove down to the more secluded part of the lake for a swim off the boat.The water was warm. It was so peaceful. At those moments it feels like a perfect world. It seems hard to belive that every day more species of animals become extinct, and the polar ice caps melt a little more and the planet heats up another point of a degree.
    I do so agree with you that those fish are so ugly they are beautiful. I know a few folks like that too.
    I got so frustrated looking for part two.It must be out there somewhere. I'll find it.


    Jill made a good choice( Jakey) if she wants a sweet, sensitive guy who is loving and kind,
    with a beautiful soul. However, Jakey has a genetic health problem. We're not sure how it will turn out.They are working on the problem and we are optimistic.
    Sammy is robust and strong and clever. He has a strong character, very honest and fair.He may be a better choice for Jill. But as you know, most women just follow their hearts. Both of your little girls are beautiful. Nan sent me their pictures last year and Gilly had a such a twinkle in his eyes. He will break some hearts.
    Here's hoping Nee and Gil had a wonderful time and a second honeymoon....Hope to hear from you again...J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:17:00 PM

    PIC...I just put a note here for you...you had such a great time you just seen Dad's note.


    I also sent you an e-mail...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a fab time PIC. Dad and I enjoyed each other's company. He is an intelligent man, very worldly wise. Makes me feel rather naive.He's like a sleeping giant. You wouldn't want to rouse him too much.

    But we had our first argument already over LiLo and Shapiro. He gallantly surrendered though.

    Hope to get more news from you. Gilly missed you and called for you.I don't see an email luv...J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scratch that last comment. I just got the emails.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs