Monday, June 14, 2010

Slave Children : Haunting Photo Found In North Carolina Attic

The boys in the photograph are barefoot , dressed in rags and small. According to art historians, they are likely slaves. almost 150 years after slavery ended in the U.S. , more proof of its dark history has been found in a North Carolina attic, a rare photo of slave children that may date back to the early 1860s.
This rare photo found in a North Carolina attic depicts two slave children . In April, the photo was found at a moving sale in Charlotte, accompanied by a document detailing the sale of "John" for $1,150 in 1854.
"I buy stuff all the time, but this shocked me ," Keya Morgan, who bought the photo, told The Associated Press. Morgan, a New York art collector, said he paid $30,ooo for the album containing the photograph and another $20,000 for the document.
Art historians believe the image is the work of Matthew Brady, a famous 19th century photographer, or one of his apprentices. Brady shot well-known portraits of President Abraham Lincoln and Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Morgan said that New York's Museum of Art offered to buy the portraint , but he plans to keep the photo for now.
Most photos of slaves were meant to document brutality. Some of the most famous, for example, show scarred backs of men who had been whipped, Harold Holzer, an administrator at the Metropolitan Museum, told AP.
So the photograph of the little boys is remarkable for its glimpse into the faces of children who endured an extraordinary fate.
"This kid was abused and mistreated , and people forgot about him," Morgan said. He doesn't even exist in history, and to know that were a million children who were like him. "I've never seen another photo like that speaks so much for children."

Will Stapp, a curator at the National Portrrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. , said the photograph puts a face on a horrific chapter in the country's past.
"It's a very difficult and poignant piece of American history,"He told the AP. "What you are looking at when you look at this photograph are two boys who were victims of that history.
My spin: The photo says it all:

4 comments:

  1. Hi PIC, you're right, a picture is worth a thousand words.The tragedy is written on their little faces,old before their time.

    Nana is resting comfortably. Brian is feeling good today. He is sure the peppers are working and his doctor is very interested in our experiment because he has read all about it. We have some forward thinking doctors up here but the government is slow to move on a lot of things.

    Sammy was the goalie and he lost badly ,,,6 to 1. The other team was far superior. Bio had kept the boys up past midnight at the race track and then they had to be up early to get to the hockey game. Sam was moving very slow and Jakey was so pale and exhausted he was very quiet and we saw none of his big smiles. I'll have to have a wee talk with Bio.I have to be careful to be politically correct or I will make the situation worse.

    Sammy was stressed out because they arrived very late because of car trouble and he almost let his team down.I'm a bit upset today.I'm not sure what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look at the bone structure of those two boys, it is very similar. They appear to be brothers.Since the (so-called)owners obviously broke them up when they sold John, I think the picture was taken before the sale.
    I love historical detective work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:39:00 PM

    Sammy was tired because he was up too late...Bio's pleasure comes before the twins, as long as he's happy, he don't care about others...you know they didn't have a good breakfast or a decent meal the day before for that matter.

    I know you are upset about them and something has to be done for Jakey's sake...Maybe you can hint around to Sammmy when he has a game they don't want to go and spend the weekend with BIO. It's worth a try.
    P will have to take the situation in hand and give BIO a heads up about the boys and they have to think about J's health and thats what really matters at this point.
    What's wrong with BIO, can't he see the baby is not well, or maybe he don't care??
    P is just going to have to throw the devil to the wind and take charge so at least J will have a chance to get well, with a lot of love and care he'll be fine...it's good I'm not there I would kick BIO's ass and I would have Nan with me, hell we can cause a lot of damage. I cannot stand to see someone using a child to hurt someone else when he is the cause of it.
    P/J better watch the bastard, he's up to no good...even I can see he don't care about no one but himself.
    Dad told me a while back when I was raising hell these was his son's kids and I told him I didn't give a damn they was my babies and I had the last say in what happens to my babies...
    I know you are upset but have a talk with them and tell them what you saw at the game and something must be done, it's the best thing for all involved.

    See you later...hugs...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:48:00 PM

    PIC...I'm glad Nana's resting well and Brian is feeling the peppers working and the doctors is very proud of you taking matters in your own hands...a lot of doctors don't tell us about herbs because we want pills...I use a lot of herbs rhey are good for a lot of ailments...
    The peppers may be the reason Brian's snapping back so quickly, the doctors are impress with his progress, so kudos to you sweetie.

    I knew when I see the slave kids photo, we had to have it for our blog and you found the document, we really do have an interesting blog...
    See you later on the Document post....PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs