Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Eighties Are Back...Sisters


Remember the eighties? Madonna, more or less, set the bar and we faithfully followed her style and got even more creative with the look. We honestly believed we looked great with our mini-skirts, big shoulders and bigger hair; heavy on the neon eye-shadow.
It seems to me that Miami Vice had some influence too with pastel colored sports jackets, sleeves rolled up to three quarters, over tee-shirts. And did you own a pair of leg warmers, scrunch socks, or fingerless, lace gloves? Did you wear crop tops?
I had a lot of big, off the shoulder tee shirts, some of them with rock bands, emblazoned in neon. I had some very wide belts and tight stonewashed jeans and even a pair of parachute pants. And here's something the guys won't have a clue about but the gals will remember: peplums. Well sisters, peplums are back.

The fall fashions will have peplums and in fact, the eighties look is coming back. It is very prevalent in the fashion shows in Europe at the moment. It has been creeping up on us for a while now. I hope we practice a little moderation this time. It was not a good look for anyone. It had a cheap trampy flavor to it and it was all out of proportion to the human body. Please...no gi-normous shoulder pads. There are some aspects of the style I absolutely dread to think might come back; dare I say....mullets?







4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:23:00 AM

    Hi PIC...I remember my older siasters looking just like the two women sitting at the table...big hair and funny looking clothes...

    Hope today was good for you, things here are going great...no complaints on this end.
    Lazy day dinner and playing with my babies and we all went out for ice cream and to the park to let them run the squirrels...

    I know the pants was going to be fine and you will get better with the second pair.

    I know you enjoyed the hockey game. Did Sammy win?? I bet Jakey was glad you came to be with him.
    I also bet old BIO was really nice to you and tried to make a good impression that he was being the model father, but we know better.

    How Nana is in good spirits and feeling good.
    Know the ROCK is okay and doing his jiggly dance and getting him a little feel...
    Naughty, naughty, but it's okay "ROCK" it belongs to you.
    Well I have all my names and I want to asked you about the last three you gave me...do you want me to start with them???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were in your teens then girl. You must have followed the fashions in high school. If you didn't have at least one pair of stonewashed or acid washed jeans and a few tops with big shoulders, I'll eat Nana's shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure PIC, start with the last three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:12:00 PM

    {giggles} I still have some stonewashed jeans and big tops...they are not the ones I had in high school...If I stioll had some of them, I couldn't get my ass in them....Gilly seen to that...the little bugger.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs