Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mississippi : Tornado Strikes With Deadly Force


Yazoo City, Mississippi : (April 24) A tornado touched down Saturday in rural Mississippi, killing two (2) people , injuring several others and ripping the tops off buildings, the mayor of Yazoo City said.
The 3/4-mile wide tornado roared across at least three(3) counties in west-central Mississippi. Mayor McArthur Straughter said the county coroner confrimed the deaths. A tornado ripped through Mississippi on Saturday, damsging several building in it's path. The walls of the Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church in the Meehan area of Lauderdale County, Miss. were blown out as the twister ripped through the state. Poaew lines and trees was blown down, blocking roads, Straughter said by telephone as sirens whined in the background. At least foue (4) people had been brought by four-wheeler to a triage center at an old discount store in the town about 40 miles north of Jackson, Miss.
Willie M. Horton, 78, said he hunkered down in the hallway of his house in rural Holmes County. "Everything is down. A lot of trees. Big trees," Horton said. He said his sister-in-law's house nearby was damaged, and a nephew's mobile home was carried away by the storm. My cousin - half his barn is gone, Horton said.
The severe storms swept across the Southeast, darkening skies and dumping rain on the region. Many areas was under tornado watches or warning at some point during the day.
The weather hampered crews trying to clean up an oil spill after an offshore rig exploded earlier this week off the coast of Louisiana.
In Mississippi, the tornado struck Valley Park, Yazoo City and Durant, said Mark McAllister, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Jackson, Miss. Everything is closed off, it's hard to get emergency service in there, he said. A possible tornado was reported in Alabama, damaging homes and downing trees but causing no injuries.
In Louisiana, storms damaged a tank at a chemical plant near Tallulah, Louisiana State Police Sgt. James Martin says plant officials don't know of any chemicals leaking from the plant itself.
My spin : This is tornado season , it seems like Mother Nature have cranked it up a bit, tornadoes are getting more severe and hurricanes are getting more powerful....the earthquakes are waking up and they want to be heard. ..now I asked you....do you think Global Warming has anything to do with it ? I do! But hey, that's just me.
Kicking back and keeping it real.

3 comments:

  1. I hear there was a bad oil spill off the coast of Louisiana.That'll be bad for the gulf.It's already so polluted.

    Hope the tornados stay away from you..Enjoy the weekend...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:50:00 PM

    Hi PIC....A oil rig blew up and the storms was hampering crews from working on the clean-up.
    There was 11 missing crew workers missing but they have called the search off.
    I had to go back and see if I mentioned it, I was glad I didn't omit it, it's there.
    They are predicting more tornadoes for the weekend and the hurricanes will start.

    My man got home in one piece and I was so happy to see him all I could do was laugh and cry at the same time...he looked worned and tired but I didn't care, shit he looked good to me.
    Hope you got a chance to go to Sammy's hockey game and Brian was feeling well enough to go.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I will see you soon.

    Hey PIC...I'm going to get poked , I'm going to wear his long ass out.
    Cupcake is bad and Sassy...LUV...Hugs...PIC
    kiss the Rock....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Big G.
    I am so happy you enjoyed the recipes. I understand Nee is an excellent cook. Honestly, there is nothing like home cooking. Good thing she loves to cook for her family.

    My husband, Brian, is getting better every day.The sparkle is back in his eyes.The old energy and restlessness to do things is coming back and he's getting a bit frisky too. He is not out of the woods yet. Cancer is a capricious creature and may return, so we live one day at a time and are grateful for every day we have together. We haven't tackled his prostate cancer yet but that is not so dangerous and we can put it off for a while.

    I'm glad that you recovered your faith G. It can be such a comfort when you need it. And belonging to a church community is satisfying too. I have little faith, if any. I have seen too much suffering. I have seen wonderful people, the best among us, die long before their time. Where is the justice in that? I watch the planet being destroyed by careless avaricious people and no one stops it.I spread information about global warming far and wide but it is difficult when so many don't wish to know.
    I just realized I can go from cheerful to depressing in a few seconds,sorry about that G.

    I hope that by this time Nee and Gil are happily reunited, and peace reigns. Nee told me you are taking some steps to preserve that peace. Sounds like you are still the strong man in the family and very protective. My dad was like that. I hope Nee feels as safe and cherished as I used to. It seems most families look to one person to lead.
    I got the impression over the last couple of years that your son is a brilliant man. You must be so proud of him even though he took his time making you a grandpa. You are in grave danger of falling into the trap I did and spoiling the grandkids rotten. I say "what the hell,"do it anyway. I love seeing their little faces light up when I bring them a special treat.

    Nee and Gil are a unique couple, so different and yet it works for them. They compliment and balance each other. Nee is one of a kind; she is innocent yet wise. She is mercurial and fiesty and yet gentle. She is very sensitive to the vibes coming from people, a sort of sixth sense. And she's got a great sense of humor. She's been a delight to me for over two years.

    You think you can ramble on Big G. but I am the champ. It's been nice rambling with you,
    Your unrequited love Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs