Friday, February 19, 2010

Betty White''s Two Passions: Comedy and Animals

At 88, Betty Whites career is going as strong as ever. She recently starred in the hilarious Snickers Super Bowl commerical, which was watched by tge largest television audience ever. She had an unforgettable turn as Ryan Reynolds kooky grandmother in the 2009 romantic comedy. "The Proposal," with sandra Bullock. And in recent weeks, there's been a Facebook campaign to get her to host"Saturday Night Live," an effort that close to 400,00 supporters.
White who has been an actress for more than 60 years, has as much passion for animals as she has for show business and divides her tim equally between the two worlds. For decades, she has worked with Morris Animal Foundation to promote animal health and welfare, sponsoring more than 30 animal health studies that have led to groundbreaking research that have improvrd the lives of dogs, cats and horses.On february 15 in Las Vegas, Nev. the Morris Animal Foundation honored White for her commitment to helping animals enjoy longer and healthier lives. P&G Pet care, who sponsored the luncheon, made a $10,000 donation in White's name to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation. Afterwards, White spoke with " Paw Nation about her career, her much beloved dog Pontiac, and how deeply honored she felt to be recognized for her work with aminals.....lets see what Ms. White said.
Q: Should I call you Betty or Ms. White?
A: Oh,Betty. That's so much easier.
Q: How long have you worked with the Morris Animal Foundation?
A: I've worked with them for 43 years and they made me a wonderful luncheon today and honoring me and, well, I lost it. Ijust lost it. I was so touched.
Q:You recently won a Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Lifetime Achievement Award and gave a very funny speech. Is it possible to compare that award to the honor you've received today for your animal work?
A: Well, I am so lucky. My life is divided in absolutely equal halves. half show business and half animal work, which are two things I love the most,so that's pretty good stuff, you can't get better than that,I could handle the SAG Award and I was thrilled to pieces , but I lost it today [ at the Morris Animal Foundation Award] because there's so much emotion envolved. We've come so far, the whole animal world has changed so much. People are beginning to appreciate now what a major part of our lives animals are.
Q: Have you always love animals?
A: It started in the womb.My father and mother was as nutty about animals as I. I was a lucky kid, my folks would go for a walk and they'd come home with a cat or dog and they'd say, he followed us home, Betty, can we keep him?
Q: Where do you live and how many pets do you currently have?
A: I live in Los Angeles and I have one golden retriever name Pontiac. He's a career change guide dog and he is just my heart. I'm working so much and I', aching for a little dog .I lost my 16-and a half year-old shih-tzu and my 11-year-old Himalayan kitty and my 10-year-old golden retriever - all within two months of each other last year. Right now I have my Ponty and we're together all the time.I can't integate somebody new into the family until I can stay home long enough to do it.
Q: What do you mean Pontiac is a "career change" dog?
A: He had a bum knee and couldn't go into regular guide dog training. They couldn't give him to a blind person, but they knew I could take care of him. He hasn't needed any surery, but he still have a bun knee.
Q: what's your favorite thing to do with Pontiac?
A: He's up on the couch next to me. He sleeps next to me. We do everything together; we're inseparable. You would love him. He's a dear.
*****************************
My spin On Ms. Betty White: What a grand lady, many kudos and our hats is off to you . I watch the reruns of the Golden Girls and still get a kick out of you Ms .White.............I enjoyed the movie "The Proposal" it was a hoot with Betty and Andy Griffin was in bed together...if you haven't seen it, you have missed a treat.....Way to go Ms. White.
Kicking back and keeping it real and as always having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs