Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sugar Free Cherry Pie

**You can find commercial fruit sweeteners, ordinarily a combination of concentrated peach & pear juices and unsweetened pineapple syrup, in health food stores, gourmet food stores and large grocery outlets. It tastes 1-1/2 to 2 times sweeter than refined sugar. You can also make your own fruit sweetener. For example, if a recipe calls for 1/2 cup fruit sweetener, you can substitute 1/4 cup concentrated apple juice + 1/4 cup granulated fructose.

INGREDIENTS:
Pastry for a one-crust pie
2 (1lb) cans red tart cherries (packed in water)
1/2 cup fruit sweetener** (1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate plus 1/4 cup granulated fructose)
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
2 tbsp lemon juice
A few drops of red food coloring (optional)
2 tbsp almond flavoring

TOPPING:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup instant mashed potato or buds
1/4 cup fruit sweetener** (1/8 cup frozen apple juice concentrate plus 1/8 cup granulated fructose)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup margarine

DIRECTIONS:
Line 9-inch pie pan with prepared pastry. Set aside.
Drain cherries, reserving one cup of the liquid. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water, stirring until smooth. Add cherry liquid, fruit sweetener and salt. Simmer mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Remove from heat and add cherries, peel, lemon juice, food coloring and almond flavoring. Pour into prepared pie shell.

Combine last six ingredients and blend to crumbly consistency. Sprinkle over pie filling. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Cut into 12 pieces.
I hope you enjoy this one Pic

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:15:00 PM

    It started raining late last night and it's still raining the weather man says it will continue for the next few days.

    I have to bake at least 2. we love cherries, dad has two homes, sis and here, when he know I'm baking, he stay here, I was getting a copy of the pie and he wanted to know where I got it from, I showed him and I showed him our cooking gadget and started to get my pies started.
    Heard Gilly in the study, went to see, didn't want him climbing on the desks, he was in there with dad and guess what? Dad was working the food gadget, he didn't know what the shit he was doing, I told him I would show him when I finish.
    PIC...you would have laughed your head off, he had checked every ingredients off for a pineapple upside down cake, hu huh...I better stop saying shit...my man says he's going to spank my musty butt everytime he hear gilly say it.
    Oh well, it might be fun .
    Have a good datenight...oh I know you will...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:28:00 PM

    I don't care if the butt get plesingly plumb, you keep giving me the recipes, I will keep baking.
    Dad is a smart one, if he's not here , he call the girls to find out what's cooking.
    Aunt Mae will be leaving soon to get her affairs in order, and will be moving here...Sis told her she can stay with her ubtil she finds her a place...she told her she didn't have to look for a place, she has 3 bedrooms that's not being used....Sis loves to hasve someonr to fuss over.

    I hope Brian is resting up fot his outing tomorrow...but you can have a little pinch/feel.
    [giggles] have a good one.
    LATER....PIC

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll never get fat honey. You are far too active. I hope the pie is good. It got a good rating from people on sugar free diets around the world.
    We had a quiet restful day.Brian seems much better.He loves to be pampered. The twins were ice-skating on the backyard ice rink to day.I will put some pictures of it in drafts for you...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Sis is a wonderful and generous woman.I wish her the best.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs