Monday, January 11, 2010

Astronomers Say They could Find Earthlike Planet Very Soon

Astronomers say they are on the verge of finding planets like Earth orbiting other stars, a key step in determining if we are alone in the universe. A top NASA official and other leading scientists say that within four or five years they should discover the first Earth-like planet where life could develop, or may have already. A planet close to the size of Earth could even be found sometime this year if preliminary hints from a new space telescope pan out.

At the annual American Astronomical Society conference this week, each discovery involving so-called "exoplanets" - those outside our solar system - pointed to the same conclusion: Quiet planets like Earth where life could develop probably are plentiful, despite a violent universe of exploding stars, crushing black holes and colliding galaxies. NASA's new Kepler telescope and a wealth of new research from the suddenly hot and competitive exoplanet field generated noticeable buzz at the convention. Scientists are talking about being at "an incredible special place in history" and closer to answering a question that has dogged humanity since the beginning of civilization.
"The fundamental question is: Are we alone? For the first time, there's an optimism that sometime in our lifetimes we're going to get to the bottom of that," said Simon "Pete" Worden, an astronomer who heads NASA's Ames Research Center. "If I were a betting man, which I am, I would bet we're not alone - there is a lot of life."

Worden told The Associated Press: "I would certainly expect in the next four or five years we'd have an Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone."
Worden's centre runs the Kepler telescope, which is making an intense planetary census of a small portion of the galaxy. Unlike the Hubble Space Telescope, which is a general instrument, Kepler is a specialized telescope just for planet-hunting. Any planet that could support life would almost certainly need to be rocky rather than gaseous. And it would need to be in just the right location. Planets that are too close to their star will be too hot, and those too far away are too cold.
Researchers are finding exoplanets at a dizzying pace. In the 1990s, astronomers found a couple of new planets a year. For most of the last decade, it was up to a couple of planets every month.
This year, planets are being found on about a daily basis, thanks to the Kepler telescope. The number of discovered exoplanets is now well past 400. But none of those has the right components for life. That's about to change, say the experts.

Kepler is concentrating on about one-four hundredth of the nighttime sky, scanning more than 100,000 stars, ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand light years away. A light year is about 5.9 trillion miles. So such planets are too far to travel to, and they cannot be viewed directly like the planets in our solar system. If there were an Earth-like body in the area Kepler is searching, the telescope would find it, Marcy said. But it can take three years to confirm a planet's orbital path.

What Kepler has confirmed so far keeps pointing to the idea that there are many other Earths. Before Kepler, those bodies were too small to be seen. Researchers this week announced the finding of five new exoplanets - all discovered in just the first six weeks of planet-hunting. But all those planets were too large and in the wrong place to be like Earth.

When Kepler looked at 43,000 stars that are about the same size as our sun, it found that about two-thirds of them appeared to be as life-friendly and nonviolent as our nearest star.
Dr. Marcy, an astronomer, who this week announced finding a planet just four times larger than Earth, does not like to speculate how many stars have Earth-like planets. But when pressed, he said Thursday: "70 per cent of all stars have rocky planets."

A massive space telescope will be needed to scan Earth-like planets for oxygen, water, carbon dioxide - and even faint signs of industrial emissions from civilization . It would cost about $5 billion.
For now, such a high price is a budget-buster, but that could change. Cornell University astronomer Martha Haynes said: "We are at a very special moment in the history of mankind
."

69 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:19:00 PM

    Hi
    I do believe an earth-like planet will be found in our life time.
    All that will be left is to build a space ship to reach it.Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be on that spaceship??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:23:00 PM

    Hope you had a good day.It's warming up a bit here, it never stay cold enough to kill the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, every time I try to sit down at the computer the phone rings or someone wants me to do something.

    Anyhow, DC seems to be trying just a tad harder to be a bit more animated.It's hard to spot but he is smiling once in a while and I have seen him doing fake things in his fake lab, once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:25:00 PM

    Yep, saving my money gonna take my babies with me. Will you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking the new guy a bit more and Wolf a bit less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'll meet you there.I'll be the one with the tee-shirt saying "I love Aliens...and polar bears"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:27:00 PM

    DC seems look a little more human

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:29:00 PM

    This is a new one... I hope they don't start a love affair with callie and the new guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Eric is absent in this one???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:32:00 PM

    Mine will say love Polar Bears and the Aliens that love good choochie.
    Wolfe looks sneahky to me, a know it all. Which the big black guy would body slam him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boy thar Callie sure sleeps around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aliens may have more than one penis..Yay...party!

    If they have a penis in the middle of their foreheads however, I wouldn't like it. I don't want a guy a guy staring up the coochie while he boffs it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:36:00 PM

    The first one killed himself in her lab, I once liked her , not anymore, she acts like a stiff mannequin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:38:00 PM

    You are hot and bad tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:41:00 PM

    Nan says she was going to join us tonight, but a couple of her people called in sick and she is trying someone to come in,they will like that, it's overtime.
    I don't think I like the dangle on the fore head.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The girl's mother ain't too hot. No worries that DC will make a pass at her.He may go home tonight.

    Unless he comes on to the young girl but I don't think she would fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:45:00 PM

    I have a post about Danzel W. it's a nice one and he has 4 kids and married for 26 years. I got in to late to post it today, I'm just going in for a couple of hours tomorrow to do paper work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pecker on the forehead won't work.They would have balls dangling in their eyes.Couldn't see to drive the spaceship.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:48:00 PM

    They need to give DC a love life, he married one day and his wife was killed the next day, I like to see the star heat up the screen a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now they are making the big black guy very smart.He started out kinda dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:51:00 PM

    I would love to see what DC has under his hood. But I would not test drive it, he may put it in and the damn thing fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:52:00 PM

    Now that is a big boy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous9:55:00 PM

    I wish they would give DC another shirt, I'm so tired of the striped one. he would look better in some soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd like to see what the new guy has under his hood. I guess his wife was murdered.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The chick can't sing worth a damn.

    Do you want me to post it for you??

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous10:01:00 PM

    I haven't put it in drafts yet, got home to late to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:03:00 PM

    The article is quite long and I will need to condense it. Somethings in it needs to be left out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read Nan's note to me. What a horible thing to happen. It never ceases to amaze me how low some people will go. People have no scruples anymore. At least the mystery is solved for me.

    My family is always telling me to be very careful when I surf the web.They are scared I'll attract weirdos and nut-jobs. When I told my daughter and husband about Vixen, they both freaked and insisted I break off with her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now I know why the cartoon scared you. You thought I might be like her.No worries, I don't hurt people.Life is too short and is cruel enough.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10:08:00 PM

    I told dad I was going to train 4 of my best dealers to be head dealers and they can Help Clara, shit I miss my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous10:10:00 PM

    Which cartoon?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I still think going back to work was a good thing.You know you can still do your job;you haven't lost it.
    And you know you'd rather be at home.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's great to know where you belong in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous10:15:00 PM

    Nan asked for my pass word I was thinking she was going to do a post. Now I know what she was up to. My girls and I visit her in Tuson,Arizona and some of my family. I know you wouldn't do a thing like that. She still send letter to sis, but no returned address.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous10:18:00 PM

    Oh, I know what cartoon, the cute one of me and my family, I just love it and Gil thinks it looks so much like me.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous10:23:00 PM

    I went back when they asked me, I just couldn't stay to see it go down the drain after dad worked so hard.
    I asked dad did he want me to go back, he said it was up to me, because he has mad peace with the world and he know his grands will get a good education.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nan really wanted me to know about it.I thank her for trusting me.And I'm sorry you had a bad experience.It must have been hard to explain to Gil.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I still think that dad is proud of you for helping the family business out. You did it out of love and respect for dad.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous10:29:00 PM

    Oh yes, Nan told me to tell you she has showed her cashiers the food gadget and what a help it will be to them.
    Seen Mac today and he says he will leave us a note, he would love to joined in the talks, but he has to get his beauty sleep, and to ask you is Brian still walking behind you watching you walk. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous10:36:00 PM

    I don't know who I was more afraid off him or sis. I didn't want him to think I was that way, but he was so sweet, after he finish ragging my ass, he told me he would know my naked butt anywhere even if they cut the heads off the pictures.
    Gert wanted to know was this me on the blog and if it was to make a post about Arizona,she said she left a comment once .

    ReplyDelete
  42. He watches me wiggle once in a while.It's a shame I look better from the back than the front.
    Oh well, you can't have it all.

    ReplyDelete
  43. That food gadget is damn brilliant.I use it because no matter what stuff you have laying around the house it will come up with a recipe.A couple of ladies have told me they never opened their cookbooks again from the day they discovered it.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have to go back to surfing the web to see what other neat things I can find. I love doing that. I just haven't had too much time to myself lately.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous10:41:00 PM

    I am so tired of them using the race card with Obama...they need to just spit it out that they don't want a black man as Pres.
    We all know it's true,everyday it's the same thing, can't they et pass the color thing, we all bleed red...

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous10:47:00 PM

    You have a lot of stuff on your plate.
    You see I haven't posted any recipes since we got it. All the recipes lately have been for me and I love it, I made a couple of Key-Lime pies for work today and they was gone before you could say boo.

    ReplyDelete
  47. People knew he was black before the election and he was still voted in by the majority of Americans.So, the majority of Americans are pleased he's the pres. The racists get more press because they are always spouting bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I don't understand why intelligent people can behave like such ass-holes.95% of them are still from the south.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous10:53:00 PM

    You asked me did we sell gator here...yes...but I wouldn't buy any...they are frozen and you don't know how old it is.
    I haven't had any since we was crabbing on the gulf before Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Is it legal to hunt gators??

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love crab.I was raised by the sea. I love all seafood.
    Tonight we had fresh water fish, rainbow trout.It comes from up north where ours lakes are pure and relatively unpolluted so it is safe for me to eat.
    It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous10:59:00 PM

    You are so right, the 95% from the south is afraid someone will find they have black in them.
    What the hell. they should be glad they are here.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous11:01:00 PM

    They proach some here, I think it's legal in south Louisiana.I love seafood, and all veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous11:02:00 PM

    I bet you are a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Boy are you correct on that one.A lot of southern people have a little color in them or at least suspect that they do.They should be proud that their American roots go back that far.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous11:06:00 PM

    I'm going to do the Danzel post in the morning and put it in drafts, I would love for you to look it over and edit and post it for me when you have time tomorrow.he's one of our bad boys.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Love Denzel.One of my absolute favorites. I'll post it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous11:10:00 PM

    When I tried to write my story on "JOSIE" she had all her husband's pic-a-ninnies , and when he died she kept them.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Conan has Gary Oldman on. He is also a bad boy that I like.Good actor.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous11:15:00 PM

    You know , when I was in N.O. we didn't know color, but here it's not the same, the state is really like a north and south, it is so different.I guess that's why they refer to it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous11:19:00 PM

    I like Gary too. I like DC because he such a fart-ass nothing never changes, the other bad boys suprise you if they do something bad.
    DC and Mel take the cake for being stupid fools.I don't think anyone could beat them out for 1st or 2nd place.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anonymous11:20:00 PM

    Jeannie
    Just got in hi and goodnite.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  63. Anonymous11:22:00 PM

    Nite want to ride with me tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anonymous11:29:00 PM

    Is Maxy doing his little dance yet?
    I bet it's so cute and he's wondering where are the rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  65. There is a famous book "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley which takes place in the future. People have inter-bred so much that we are all the same color.Kind of cafe-au-lait and slightly oriental. We are all equal.
    That's the way it will be one day if we survive. It will be a lot more boring though,all looking alike.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Yes it's time to let Maxy out.He buried his teddy bear out in the snow.I haven't figured out why yet.Maybe he thinks the bear is dead.

    So farewell and goodnight See you soon... PIC

    ReplyDelete
  67. Goodnight Nan.I bet you're tired....Sleep well

    ReplyDelete
  68. Anonymous11:36:00 PM

    I will get the book I bet it's a good read.
    I love being different, I am the darkest one of the litter, I look like sis and Emily and people say if Chris was younger,we could be twins.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Anonymous11:38:00 PM

    See you on the space-ship.
    Good night enjoyed it as always '
    Nite sweetie....PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs