Friday, December 18, 2009

"Mom Body Slams Bank Robber" Way To Go

When Kat Khalid heard gunfire coming from inside a bank where her son was cashing a check, the 48-year-old mon didn't stop to think. Instead, she rushed straight into the shooting spree, terrified for her son's life. Once inside, kat saw a woubded security guard covered in blood and kneeling on the floor, desperately fighting a bank robber armed with an UZI machine gun. Unconcerned with her own safty, Kat thought of her son, 23-year old Brenden, and her maternal instincts took over, and even though she is crippled by rheumatoid arthritis,the 5-foot-6, 160-pound Kat -- who was wearing a pair of Tinker Bell flip-flops - charged the 6-foot-tall bank robber and body-slammed him to the ground.
That was my son in there , my only child. I've heard that you never come between a lion and her cubs, well, I'm a leo, and my name is Kat!
Kat's son was inside the bank to cash a check, and she was sitting in the car in the handicapped parking spot when she saw this guy dressed like Abraham Lincoln going into the bank. He had on a black wig, a really bad one, and a fake beard that looked like it was hooked over his ears, and he was carrying a big canvas bag. I felt a chill go through me, I throught : He's going to rob the bank and my son's in there!" She then heard gunfire. Kat rushed in and saw customers ducking and scrambling for cover. I saw a secerity guard on his knees, he was coverd in blood , the robber had shot him and pistol whipped him. The robber was bent over the guard, and I could see they both had hold of a machine gun, and they was fighting for control of it. It look like the guard was losing consciousness, I thought , 'I've got to do something before the robber gets the gun, because if he does , he's going to start shooting again. I chose that moment to run at the robber and tackle him. I charged him and body-slammed him to the floor. We both went flying, and it knocked the wind out of me. I ended up on top of him, I saw the gun was underneath him, the gun was pointed at the guard, so I grabbed the gun and pointed it at the robber's crotch. I knew he wouldn't pull the trigger then.
I was trying my best to stay on top of him,but somehow he got his legs free, and started kicking me, all the time we was fighting for the gun, he was saying : I'm going to (bleeping) kill you. A man ran over and I yelled at him: Grab the gun. But instead of grabbing the gun, he put the guy in a head-lock .I still had hold of the gun, but I was starting to lose my grip.
My son came running over, and I told him:Grab the damn gun!" He did what momma told him! He twisted the gun out of the robber's hand and got it away from him. Other customers rushed in and held the robber down until the police arrived. My son didn't say anything unti we was driving home. I guess we both was in shock. Then he looked at me and said, 'Mom, don't ever do that again." On November 12, 2009, Kat, who has one grandchild, was presented with a "Courageous Citizen Award" by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office. The robber was sentenced to 28 years to life in prison .
My spin on this: Way to go Kat, a lot of kudos to you, when it comes to a mother's children, we throw caution to the wind. I wonder how the robber is going to be viewed by his fellow inmates. I don't think he's going to want them to know that he was taken down by a disabled grandmother wearing "TINKER BELL" flip-flops.[GIGGLES] Stay tune more true crime to come: The saga continues.
Kicking back and keeping it real

1 comment:

  1. What a courageous woman.Congratulations on your bravery and protective maternal instinct.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs