Monday, October 26, 2009

Windows 7 - Lucky 7

Just days after its launch, I’ve made the leap to Windows 7. Initially reluctant, I was pretty soured by the release of Windows Vista and was still sticking with good old XP. But when my geek friends started professing their love for Microsoft’s newest operating system, I decided to take a closer look.
Yes,
Windows 7 is as good as the rumours say. It runs fast and looks great – everything that Vista was supposed to be, but better. Mind you, I had to do my research. These are some of the questions that I asked about Windows 7 before switching over…and things you may want to consider if you’re contemplating an upgrade.
Q: What are the computer requirements for running Windows 7?
A: From Microsoft, the requirements are:
- 1 Gig processor (32 or 64 bit)- 1 Gig of RAM- 20 Gigs of hard drive space
These are surprisingly low. I was expecting Windows 7 to be a resource hog. (Can you tell I’m still bitter about Vista?)
I installed Windows 7 on my netbook (an ultra-tiny laptop) that is barely better than these minimum requirements and it runs great! On this bare bone computer, Windows 7 runs better and faster than Windows XP did.
Q: How is connectivity managed with Windows 7?
A: The Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7 is very well done. It seamlessly manages all of your connectivity options (wired, wireless, Rocket Stick, etc.) in one central interface.

One shortcoming of Windows XP is that it saw all of your connections to the Internet as separate items. It alerts you with “Your network cable is unplugged” when you unplug your laptop and switch to a wireless connection – a real “no kidding!” moment. Instead, Windows 7 has all connection types fully integrated. There is one connectivity icon in the System Tray (that little area in the bottom-right of the screen, beside the clock) that represents the connection type and status. Very nice.

Q: Is my existing computer compatible Windows 7 compatible?
A: Even if your computer meets the minimum requirements for Windows 7, you need to know if all of the individual components will work too. What about my printer? My webcam? My scanner?
If you are thinking about switching an existing computer to Windows 7,
download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
This handy utility from Microsoft will deliver a report telling you if your computer is Windows 7 compatible and if there will be any compatibility concerns.
Before you begin, make sure all your external devices are connected or they won’t be scanned for compatibility.

Q: Are my programs Windows 7-compatible?A: Similar to the above question (but referring to software, not hardware). Again, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. Software compatibility is also included in the report.
Q: Are my Rogers services/applications compatible with Windows 7?
A: For the most part they are. The Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service is fully compatible. Your Rogers Yahoo! Home Page, Rogers Yahoo! Mail and Flickr will also run fine on the new OS. Additionally, the
Rogers Technical Support desk including Live Support (Chat) is ready to assist you.
However, some programs provided by Rogers are not Windows 7-compatible at this time. Despite their best efforts to have new versions ready for the launch, these programs continue to be in development:
- Rogers Online Protection- Rogers Yahoo! Messenger- Rogers Yahoo! Toolbar- Rogers Self Help Software
So, should you upgrade? Well, that depends on your situation. If you are buying a new computer it will likely come with Windows 7. If your current computer is running Windows Vista, it is probably worthwhile to make the upgrade. However, if your current computer is working well for you, then there is no real need to change…in this case, you may want to just wait until it is time to buy a new computer and Windows 7 will be included.

If you have any other questions, capture a geek and tie him to your computer chair until he has installed the program, taught you how to use it and answered all your questions.They respond well if you promise them food or sex.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:47:00 PM

    When I moved into my home,I brought a new computer, and you guess it.
    It was a Vista...I should've waited on my man to go with me, I don't know a damn thing about computers. What's so hard , just plug it in and turn the damn thing on.Right !! Aww shit a lot I know.
    Had to get my lappy,I couldn't log into my site, boy I was so mad I was spitting nails.
    My man called around and I will be upgraded to "Windows 7" Monday morning.
    The "Geek Squad" will be here bright and early.
    I only had this piece of shit for a couple of months.
    Windows 7 may not make me any smarter,but I will get to where I want to go.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs