Monday, August 03, 2009

New Music from Amadeus

Recently Discovered Portrait
Two newly discovered pieces of music written by a young Mozart are played for the first time in 250 years, in the composer's home city of Salzburg. Austrian musician, Florian Birsak, tackled the pieces - not for the faint hearted.
With its polished parquet floor, the Tanzmeistersaal in the Mozart Residence Museum was full. After all, it is not every day you get to go to a premiere of pieces by Mozart - played on his own piano and in his own house.

Posthumous discoveries of works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart are rare but not unknown. And the short two pieces unveiled in Salzburg appear to be a "missing link" in the young composer's development, according to Dr Ulrich Leisinger, from the International Mozarteum Foundation. The first piece to be performed was the Concerto in G molto allegro - probably the first movement of a harpsichord concerto written in 1763 or 1764, when the composer was around eight years old.

Researchers at the Mozarteum believe it forms an important link between the miniatures Mozart wrote as a very young child and the larger instrumental pieces he went on to compose later.
Harvard professor, Robert Levin, says: "What the composer expects of the pianist in racing passagework, crossed hands and wild leaps is more than a bit crazy.
"I consider it quite credible that the movement was composed by the young Mozart who wished to show in it, everything he could do."

There are anecdotes which suggest that Mozart began to compose concertos long before his "first" official piano concerto, in 1773. The Salzburg court trumpeter and close friend of the Mozart family, Johann Andreas Schachtner, described being shown an inkblot-stained score of a part of a concerto written by the young Mozart. Mozart's father, Leopold, had first dismissed the piece - but then looked at it a little more closely.
"Look here Mr Schachtner," he said. "See how everything is correct and regularly set - it is only useless because it is too difficult for anyone to play, too technically demanding."
The young Wolfgang was not abashed. "That's why it is a concerto," he said. "You have to practice a long time before you can play the notes. Here's how to do it."

The second piece, the Prelude in G major, is also technically demanding, but described by researchers as slightly more "refined".
It was the "crazy" and virtuosic nature of the pieces that helped the researchers at the Mozarteum identify them as being by the young Mozart.

It is thought Mozart's father Leopold transcribed the pieces
The works were part of "Nannerl's Music Book"( Nannerl being Mozart's sister), a collection of music compiled by Leopold Mozart which has resided in the archive of the International Mozarteum Foundation since 1864. They are written in Leopold's handwriting - but Dr Leisinger believes he transcribed pieces his son played on the piano.

"The piece does contain real technical mistakes and clumsy moments that an old hand like Leopold Mozart would never have made." Florian Birsak played both pieces on Mozart's fortepiano - and then a short orchestral version of the concerto was performed.
There will be another performance of the pieces during Mozart Week 2010 in Salzburg.

Mozart, born in Salzburg in 1756, began composing at the age of five and went on to produce some of the most famous concertos, symphonies and operas of his time, until his death in 1791.
The latest scores are not the only ones to have resurfaced in recent years.
Last September, a library in Nantes, in western France, unveiled a hitherto unknown music score by Mozart that had lain in its archive undiscovered for over a century. It was authenticated by the Mozarteum.
In 2006, a year filled with celebrations for the 250th anniversary of Austria's favourite son, another piano score extremely likely to be the work of young Wolfgang Amadeus was discovered in Salzburg.
In May last year, experts also identified three mystery musical scores discovered at Poland's historic Jasna Gora Roman Catholic monastery in southern Poland, as possible Mozart creations.
I listened to the music most recently discovered with awe and found it a little eerie to belistening to a new piece by Amadeus, 218 years after his death.

Gallery discovers Mozart portrait:

The portrait's subject was previously unknown . Art experts in Germany say a painting in a Berlin art gallery is probably the last portrait painted of the composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
The picture was painted by the German artist Johann Georg Edlinger in 1790, a year before Mozart's death.
The picture was identified as a Mozart portrait when an expert on the composer used computer analysis to compare it with another painted 13 years earlier.
It had been purchased from a Munich art dealer, as a portrait of an unknown subject.
The senior custodian of the art gallery, Dr Rainer Michaelis, recently commissioned extensive computer analysis of the painting and asked Mozart expert Wolfgang Seiller to investigate.
"Mr Seiller noticed there were strong similarities between the subject of the portrait and Mozart," he told Berlin's BZ newspaper.
It is thought the portrait was painted during Mozart's last stay in Munich in 1790. He died of a mysterious illness in 1791 (thought to be rheumatic fever).

70 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:46:00 PM

    I am a music lover.Mozart's music is very powerful
    I would have loved to have been there ,now that's what you call history in the making.
    For those that don't like or understand the music, just listen and it will grow on you.
    Mozart's music calls for an acquired taste.I hope I gets an opportunity to hear smoe of the pieces benig played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:16:00 PM

    Hi PIC
    How is everyone? Hope they are in good spirits... I am doing a little better today, it's not raining thank goodness.
    The little boy's parents was over today and talked with Gil, said they wre sorry, he don't play with other kids well,he likes to hit,Gil told the man the kid had to get from some where, we all know he beats his wife.Gil told him he should get the kid into anger management before something really happens. He told the man we teach our girls not to hit, but they will mix it up if you hit them.
    How is Nana's foot? what is Brian and Maxy doing, are they in bed yet? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi PIC.I think Gil handled that well.I pity that poor little boy.Too bad he won't get the help he needs.

    Nana's foot is better and she is grumpy.Brian spent the day tinkering on the boat engine .That really relaxes him.I spent the day at home drawing.
    I'm glad you're doing better today.
    You were a little pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maxy still eats rabbit poop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:23:00 PM

    Mazy is full of shit now...glad Nana's foot is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a lot of people who are full of shit and they don't have the excuse of eating rabbit poop.

    I think Maxy thinks they are tasty pellets of dog food left in the garden by some kind fairy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:28:00 PM

    Oh I am still pissed and he knows it. They have a bunch of kids, no one wants them to play with there kids, my babies know I fuss all the time at everybody and everything, we don't hit or cuss , we wait unil they are not around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:30:00 PM

    Maxy is very smart.. They say rabbit poop is good for dogs/cats, the grass is like meds. for them, we use to watch our dog eat grass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:32:00 PM

    What is you drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a little pissed myself today at Brian.He totally ignored me all day.He knew I was annoyed.He had that look in his eyes,slightly guilty,slightly uncertain as to whether he should duck or disappear.

    I didn't know he'd be up at the lake all day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:35:00 PM

    Wouldn't you just love to hear the music, I bet it is so beautiful, it would bring tears to your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is good to spend some alone time and give each other a little space but you should give each other a little warning so you know when it's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:39:00 PM

    Poor Brian, will they ever learn, they think we just should understand. He has been here all day asking me where and when I wanted to go, I told his I changed my mind, I was not going anywhere this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can hear the recording at

    www.mozarteum.at

    It's not so wonderful sounding.He was only seven or eight,but it's strange and wonderful to hear a new song from a dead man.

    That portrait kicked around for centuries as an unknown subject until someone really examined it and compared it by computer imaging with a much older portrait.Eureka! It's Mozart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:43:00 PM

    You got that right, I think I deserve to go for a week maybe with all the shit I had to put up with..stranded in Dallas, Gilly wasn't a month old and he had to go and the lights went out, that damn house, I wouldn't go anywhere now if he begged me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now why do you want to go yanking him around now?Do you still feel the need to make him suffer a bit?
    YOU WON.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:46:00 PM

    I will take a listen tomorrow. It will be just great to hear it after so long a time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:48:00 PM

    I guess I will make him happy and give him a little choochie, he is a loving hubby/father..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:52:00 PM

    I have 2 posts in drafts, Britney Spears and Jay Leno.. I am working on one on Kate and the bodygaurd and one on Jon and his drug dealing girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's my girl.You have a lot of heart.
    Just think of that poor woman down the street who gets beaten regularly with her children watching.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Be happy you are not her.
    She has nowhere to go.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:55:00 PM

    What are you drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'l edit for you later.I must think of a good subject for tonight's post,maybe another treasure article.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maybe I'll do an article on archaeology. I wanted to be an archaeologist (among other things)

    We were offered a free apartment in Cairo any time we wanted by a friend of Brian's.I could have indulged in my passion for Egyptology.But,Brian could never seem to get away.Now we've lost touch with the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:02:00 PM

    You are right as always, he is good to me .He know I love and trust him, when I get mad at him , I stop and think about Ron, I have no doubt about him being unfaithful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was drawing a few ideas for a painting.My eyes have become a little worse in the last couple of weeks.I'm a bit scared.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous10:06:00 PM

    Oh that would have been good.
    Google his name and see what you come up with, you may be surprise and find him.
    I am trying to put a bunch in drafts, you find such interesting things and you don't have to worry if you don't get to post. HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:11:00 PM

    Have you been to the doctor lately?
    We will stop staying on so long going back and forward on this thing is tiresome on your eyes, My appointment is this month.
    About an hour don't you think, if we think of anything we can always tell each other.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll always check the drafts to see if you have something there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Apparently,the twins spent the afternoon on the boat playng video games while Brian worked on the engine.The wind was so strong it almost blew Jakey off the boat when he came up on deck.It was so strong,it almost blew Brian of the dock.Now where would a wind like that suddenly come from? It went from a warm day to a cilly day in half an hour.It gets weirder and weirder up here.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10:21:00 PM

    That will be great..I don't want you to get to tried, I am a big girl now and still learning to walk, but you have put me on the right path and I think you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. In my case, the computer is easy to see because of the bright back- lighting.Reading books can make my eyes strain a bit.I saw the eye doctor two months ago.Lucky for me he's just around the corner.He'll see me anytime I want.I think I'll let him check again.

    I'm glad you are sensible about your checkups.Often,people don't go if it doesn't feel like there's a problem.With neglect they can end up with bad glaucoma,or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous10:26:00 PM

    The climate is changing faster than people expect..can't they see something is going own.
    Now Jakey I can understand because he is small...but not Brian, that has to be a strong wind, and you are getting tornados , something has the weather going wacky.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous10:32:00 PM

    I try more so now to stay healthy.
    Jeannie I have so much to be thankful for, and this damn weather just depressed the shit out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The tornadoes kind of petered out in July,but we had them so rarely in the past.Now we are having floods in different parts of Canada.At least there are not so many forest fires this year.They can consume millions of acres of trees in such a short time.

    Do you normally get so much rain?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous10:38:00 PM

    I am hoping for a nice fall and winter, it would be nice to get some of your snow, but these fools here don't know how to drive in the snow here.hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous10:40:00 PM

    No we don't normally get this much rain, this time of year it's hotter than a dick's hat-band.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous10:42:00 PM

    With your thin blood you can take the heat.Our blood is thick and sluggish.We can't function well in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  39. When we were last in Florida, we were tired and slow moving and yet the native Floridians kept working hard and moving fast.We couldn't keep up.If we go in the winter months it's not so hot down there.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous10:48:00 PM

    Brian's frind in Cairo...google his name you may be surprise and find him, won't hurt to try.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous10:50:00 PM

    [giggles] I know you are right anonymous..Thet's why our A/C runs 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  42. that's a good idea.I never thought of it.
    Brian loved the desert when he was there.I think he was there for four or five years.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous10:53:00 PM

    If I was up there you know where I would be all winter..I would be making whoopie til it thaw. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  44. I don't think anyone works at their best if the heat is over 100 degrees.

    Do we have another Canadian on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous10:57:00 PM

    I got the goggling idea from you.
    I asked you something and you told me to google what I wanted and see what come up, see I am paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous11:00:00 PM

    Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm glad you pay attention to me sometimes, Nee.I handing you pearls of wisdom here.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous11:03:00 PM

    Welcome Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous11:06:00 PM

    You're playing my song.

    I Like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous11:09:00 PM

    {giggles] Thanks,now I am tongue-tied.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Feel free to express your opinion on any subject,Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous11:13:00 PM

    I like to follow your conversations.It's like a serial.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous11:13:00 PM

    Well we are glad to have you, we just chat about whatever suits our fancy at the time.
    Jeannie is the level head one and as you may have notice I am the wild child. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous11:17:00 PM

    AWww crap, now I am going to have to watch my p's and q's and not say dangle and choochie. [giggles]

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yeah,all the action takes place behind the posts.We don't hold back.Stay tuned for more drama.

    'Will Maxy stop eating rabbit poop'??Wll Jaye's book ever be published??
    'Will Nee ever move into that damn house"?
    STAY TUNED

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous11:22:00 PM

    Amusing. Keep up the good work ladies.I keep my eye on you.

    So long Canuck.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Bonne Chance Canuck.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous11:24:00 PM

    Yes,yes,yes to all 3, but you forgot my favorite toy...the dangle, oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous11:28:00 PM

    I wonder how long she has followed us? You always said they liked what went on behind the door.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Oh yes,..Will Nee ever be cured of her addiction to dangles???

    I doubt it but STAY TUNED anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous11:34:00 PM

    That was nice, we are different from other blogs, we just do our thing and have fun .

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anonymous11:38:00 PM

    I don't know, but it could have been a man, by the speech pattern,
    men mostly say "yup" and "serial",women say series. but we will take her/him.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Sounds like She/he is a regular visitor.
    Well Snookums the twins are coming over early tomorrow morning so I'll go do the post thing and say goodnight to you ..Give that old Long Shank a nice kiss and a little feel..Luv ya..PIC

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anonymous11:47:00 PM

    Well sweetie it's that's magic hour again ..I will let you go see what you can google up and we will talk tomorrow.
    Better yet...go snuggled up to the "ROCK" and dream about Cairo.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anonymous11:49:00 PM

    Nite and happy hugging...Luv... PIc...NEE

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs