Tuesday, December 02, 2008

DIGGING UP SANTA

People have always wanted to know,what the real Santa Claus(St Nicholas)
looked like.St Nicholas'remains are buried in the crypt of the Basilica di San Nicola in Bari,Italy.These bones were temporarily removed,when the crypt was repaired during the 1950's.At the Vatican's request,anatomy professor Luigi Martino,from the University of Bari,took thousands of minutely detailed measurements and x-ray photographs(roentgenography)of the skull and other bones.

In the present;modern forensic anthropology has developed tools to discover what people looked like.These techniques are primarily used to identify unknown victims of homicide or unnatural death.However they can be used for
re-constructing the faces of famous historic persons,if there is access to the right information.
In this case,since the bones weren't available for examination,the current professor of forensic pathology at the University of Bari engaged an expert facial anthropologist from England to construct a model of the saint's head from the thousands of pictures and painstaking measurements taken in the fifties.

Using this data and a state of the art computer,a face gradually emerged from the distant past.The nose presented some difficulty because it had been badly broken,probably when he had been imprisoned and tortured,during the persecution of Christians under Roman Emperor Diocletian.The nasal bones between the eyes had been shattered.

The three dimensional image was then sent to a digital artist to give it detail and colour.This gave it Greek,Mediterranean olive toned skin,brown eyes,grey hair and a beard,trimmed in fourth century style.The result is an image of a Greek man(St nicholas was born in the village of Patara.At the time,the area was part of the Greek empire and is now on the southern coast of Turkey.)He is about sixty years old,five-feet-six inches tall,with a heavy jaw and a broken nose.

The final result of all this work is the upper,central picture ,surrounded by traditional paintings of St Nicholas(top of page )
How did he transform into the jolly elf we know today?In the early nineteenth century,descendants of the Dutch,who settled in New York,held annual St Nicholas days.They made his image into more of a jolly,plump Dutch burgher with a clay pipe than a saintly bishop(mostly due to a popular book at the time,Knickerbocker's History of New York).And,so,began the transformation to which we have all added a little something.He has become a mythical being with magic powers who hangs around with elves,but he still represents the spirit of giving,just like the original.
.

33 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:03:00 PM

    Your research is wonderful,I love to learn and hear about some of the things I have heard and read about is really nice in a lot of ways..Xmas is my favorite holiday,I guess because a lit of peple put their hate for others aside,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a vast knowledge of things I never cared about to know - since I don't like Christmas. Very interesting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor old Vix.We're really rubbing Christmas in her face.
    I can't help it I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:18:00 PM

    Yes Jeannie do have a vast knowledge of quite a few things,I have always been told that knowledge is power..I truly beleive that it is true...I have learned a great deal from her,I am learning more ways to say bad words.hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:20:00 PM

    Jeannie I love Xmas,I just had Gil to copy this one for me,I have a hope chest for Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is okay. Like a good Christian I accept that other people like it. However, like Jehovas Witnesses I don't celebrate it. In the last years I only celebrated it because my daughter likes it so much. But it does nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE love CHristmas in our family.The kids are already so excited they can't sleep.I have to go see the twins in Christmas shows at their school.Jakey has a very sweet singing voice.

    Sammy likes changing the words in Xmas songs
    eg,Jingle bells,Santa smells

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit though I'm always glad when it's over.Too hectic.
    Too many people to visit and make nice with

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit though I'm always glad when it's over.Too hectic.
    Too many people to visit and make nice with

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit though I'm always glad when it's over.Too hectic.
    Too many people to visit and make nice with

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about repitition,my mouse is being bitchy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:37:00 PM

    Don't mean to be rude,but I don't knock a person for their beliefs,but the witness is not the only people that don't celebrate Xmas,the Jews don't,but as I always said to each his own,things I don't care for I don't discuss,as a whole people can and shhould set aside their different this would be a better place,we wouldn't have so much killing and haterd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try it without the mouse. I always operate my lappy without one. I am faster this way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every religion thinks that it is the one true religion and all the others are going to eternal damnation.
    I don't feel that way.I can embrace anyone's beliefs.I don't know who is right.Maybe none of them.Wouldn't that be a laugh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:55:00 PM

    So true...it all what you beleive,if everyone beleive the same,boy what a dull place this would be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I respect the religious beliefs of other people.they are lucky they have something to lean on and take comfort in.
    I was raised as a CHristian and behave as one.But,I am so sceptical about a lot of the things they teach.Show me .prove it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been in a Mormon home,in a Jewish home, in a Jehovas Witnesses home, in a Christian home - every time I pretended to be interested. Every time I came up empty. Nothing they said or did could convince me to lean towards one direction..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel a lot like you.Religious practices were created by men.All the pomp and ceremonies,created by men.
    In some religions,women aren't even required to attend the services.In some religions women are fobidden to attend.who decided all these things?God?Allah?I don't think so.
    Be good ,be kind,never hurt,only help and love your fellow humans and if there is a God ,he;ll know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe one day I'll embrace religion. But not right now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My dad didn't embrace religion until he died.Right at the end he said a few prayers,just like taking out an insurance policy.Just in case there really was a heaven.
    All his life he was a confirmed atheist

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous9:35:00 PM

    Religion..to me is a state of mind,doing good ,giving a helping hand...to me thats important,not being led around by the hand,you have a mind,when I am doing some good by my fellow man,thats my reward,thats my religion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:39:00 PM

    we name them atheist,because they marched by a different drummer.He knew his heart,no one else did.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always go through the motions when I have to go to church - Easter, Christmas, White Sunday.
    I do what I have been taught - pray sing and recite. But I don't mean it. It is just a duty I fulfil to be a good example for my daughter.
    But I don't feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you nailed it CC.What you are,what you do,how you live,that is your true religion.Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9:45:00 PM

    Vix,I give you a thumbs up for that,we don't break the door down getting to church,when your daughter is old enough,she can choose for herself,I do the same by mind.A lot of people I know just go to church to be seen and talk about everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Last weekend in Baja I gave 10 Dollars to man who searched our garbage for empty soda-cans.
    That satisfied me more than going to church to pray

    ReplyDelete
  27. Doing it to be a good example to your daughter is probably the best reason in the world to do it.You're a good Christian and don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree vix,doing a kind deed is a religious experience you don't get in church.
    It's nice to know my friend is kind.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous9:52:00 PM

    "PRAYER" is a great healer,you don't have to dress up,you can just pray anytime,I, like you find it more rewarding to help someone,you know the man was thankful and you gave it from your heart,he will remember you .

    ReplyDelete
  30. Prayer is a comfort.We all do it in one way or another.And you're right.You can do it anywhere,anytime

    ReplyDelete
  31. Most of the time you look away because you can't help them all. There are just too many and the goverment doesn't care. I come from a place where people don't have to sell tin cans to survive. It is a culture shock for me every time I have to witness that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It must be a shock.I understand.

    There is no way to prepare yourself for human suffering.
    Perhaps the people who are born and raised there are a bit more immune to it.

    ReplyDelete

Through this ever open gate
None come too early
None too late
Thanks for dropping in ... the PICs